Episode 8 - Campfire on the rooftop

Night time has come to the city of Hyosan as the surviving high school students huddled around the fire that they made earlier. Seeking warmth for having her leg exposed to the wind due to her school skirt, Areum shared a blanket that she grabbed from the broadcasting room with Namra as she was sitting in between Suhyeok and her close friend. The black haired girl was leaning her head against Suhyeok’s shoulder as she stared at the fire whooshing in front of her.

“Daesu-yah.” Suhyeok called the plump boy as he played with Areum’s fingers. 

“Yeah?” Daesu hummed as he supported his head using his arm that was placed on his thigh.

“How was your audition?” The tall boy asked as he glanced over at the plump boy.

“They said I have to lose some weight.” The plump boy scoffed in anger when he remembered the comments he received after his audition. The tall boy chuckled in amusement when he heard Deasu’s reply.

“Well, you’re a good singer.” Suhyeok mentioned as he turned his attention toward the lit fire.

“Daesu-yah. Sing for us. I want to hear it.” Areum requested as she continued leaning her head on Suhyeok’s shoulder and watched the beautiful fire. 

“Just forget it. I don’t want to sing.” The plump boy uttered as he denied the beauty’s request, making the black haired girl moping around.

“Oh, come on. Please, sing for us. I’m sure we needed some cheer from all the horrible things that happened to us.” The black haired girl pleaded as she glanced toward Daesu before returning her gaze back on the fire. 

“I actually really like that song.” Joonyeong announced when he remembered the song that Daesu sang to his classmate. Overheard his friend’s statement, Daesu shifted his eyes away from the fire to his friend.

“You do?” Daesu curiously asked as he straightened his body, feeling pleased when he heard his friends' feedback on his song.

“Mm-mm.” Joonyeong hummed.

“Really?” The plump boy once again asked in disbelief.

“It’s really nice.” Joonyeong commented as he stared at the plump boy who tried to hide his smile from his friends.

“You sing well.” Suhyeok added as he continued to play with Areum’s finger, making Daesu clear his throat as an attempt to hide his happiness.

“Just like Areum said, it’ll cheer us up.” Wujin encouraged his best friend.

“Let’s go once it’s over.~ Let’s go anywhere.~ Once we’re done studying 12 hours a day.~ Once the annoying sounds are over.~ Let’s go hand in hand.~” Daesu started to sing his song as the rest of the surviving students listened to him. Areum briefly closed her eyes as she enjoyed listening to her friend’s singing.

“Let’s not run~.” Jimin joined in singing, making Daesu smile when one of his friends was also singing his own song. 

“Let’s try walking slowly.~ Is that drool or sweat pool on the book?~ No one notice the plop, plop.~ The falling rain drops.~” One by one, the surviving students start to join in singing, except for Areum, who was resting her eyes, and Namra, who does not know the lyrics.

What is boiling?~ Simmer, simmer.~ It’s Mom’s doenjang stew.~ Mm-hm, a bowl of instant noodles.~ in front of the TV, which plays nothing but static.~ Let’s go anywhere together.~”

The harmony sounds between the surviving students fill Areum and Namra’s ears as they were the only ones who did not join in singing with the rest of their friends. Namra held a soft smile when she listened to the song as she spotted her close friend slowly drift to sleep on Suhyeok’s shoulder while listening to the melody sounds.