My conclusion wasn't any different from Omar's. Knowing my father well, I knew he had a tendency to make swift decisions. When he hesitated, it usually indicated his struggle to convey unpleasant news without the inherent pain it carried.

"If he doesn't accept us, I don't know what else to do," Omar muttered quietly, running his fingers through his hair. "I can't lose you, Madi."

In all honesty, I didn't know what else to do either. If I rejected Faraz, my father would just introduce someone else. It was a cycle that needed to be halted. And while my father probably didn't realize it, he had inadvertently instilled in me the confidence to stand up against those who hurt me. 

No one was hurting me more right now, than my own parents

"I won't let that happen," I assured Omar, and meant every word of it. They had seen my humble, responsible, older sister side. They were about to see my rebellious side too - just as soon as I got back from an event I was attending tonight.

The 'event' reminded me -

"What are you doing in the evening, today?"

"I have to go to the lab for some important time-sensitive experiments. Why?"

"Uh..." I looked over at Elijah who was leaning against the wall, engrossed in a conversation on the phone.

"Wait a second," Omar immediately said. "You're not thinking of going to the protest tonight with Elijah, are you?"

I sucked in a breath, "Well..."

"No, Madi," he grabbed my arm, like I was about to run off now. "You are not going to any large gathering. You've barely recovered from COVID, and God forbid if you get exposed to tear gas or something you'll be back to square one."

"But Omar, this cause is very close to my heart. You know that," I pleaded, not that I needed his permission. Like Faraz, kept rubbing it in - we didn't have any relationship at all, for now.

"Stay home and right an op-ed then. Or donate money. Do not go around putting your life at risk."

"That's not enough. Showing up in solidarity matters." I tried to argue back.

"Nothing matters more than you own health. Besides, you scared me enough when you got COVID, don't make me go through it again."

"That's emotional blackmail," I pouted, which only made him smile wider.

"Then I am an emotional blackmailer. Or what ever else you want to call me. But promise me you will go straight home after work."

His impassioned opposition and the tender reason behind it, left me with no choice but to nod and say, "I promise." Containing within me the rebellious streak that was now morphing into full blown defiance.

I loved Omar, but I could make my own decisions.

*******

A Few Hours Later

"Hey Elijah, wait up." I called after the intern who had become quite good friends with Omar, and now seemed to be heading out after finishing his shift.

"Oh hi Madi. What's up?"

"Are you going to drive to the protest today?"

"Yesss." He breathed out a slow, reluctant reply. "But you will be staying at home, right? Omar, said you've just recovered and its not safe for you to go anywhere near the protest."

Oh did he now? My lips pursed.

"In case you have forgotten, I am the senior resident, and you two are the interns. In just a couple of weeks, I'll actually be your boss as the new Chief Resident. So tell him that he shouldn't pretend he knows more than me. Besides..." I shrugged. "I feel fine. And I was just going to volunteer at the medical camp, not attend the protest per se."