Chapter 2: Orange Roses (361-362)

Start from the beginning

Alberu's mouth felt so dry all of a sudden.

Am I dreaming?, Alberu wondered.

It could not be helped.

The Crown Prince had never had anybody answer his call with a red face while unbuttoning their shirt. That was only possible for someone who was so drunk that they didn't care about respect or etiquette.

But this...

Alberu had seen this view before. And no, it wasn't before the day he met Cale during Cale's 'trashy' days.

Rather, it was in his dreams.

The difference would be that instead of through a communication device, Cale was laying on Alberu's bed with Alberu on top of him. Alberu's hand was inside Cale's shirt and Cale was murmuring all sorts of things that children should not be privy to into Alberu's ears.

But now wasn't the time to talk about that.

Alberu took a deep breath.

"Did you just decide to return to your old alcoholic trash days? Hmm? How much did you drink that your face turns so red and your head is full of sweat-" pause.

Alberu frowned, the inappropriate excitement vanishing in less than a second as he finally took in the rest of the situation.

The rest of Cale's group members were behind him (aside from Raon who he could guess was connecting the device). They all looked fine. Not a drop of sweat.

And thus the thirst transformed into worry.

"...What did you do this time?" Alberu asked carefully. "Did you use an Ancient Power?" He asked again, knowing that Cale's Ancient Powers had drawbacks. He then made eye contact with the only unfamiliar person in that room.

"Is that the Mercenary King?"

- Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Your Highness. My name is Bud Illis. I am the Mercenary King.

"Nice to meet you. I am Alberu Crossman," Alberu introduced himself shortly, still feeling quite rattled.

- I am currently going through the Mercenaries Guild's Directory.

"The Directory? Why?"

Alberu was confused for a moment until his eyes caught sight of Eruhaben. The ancient Gold Dragon's complexion was much better than what he'd seen last time.

"Looks like you went to find information on the White Star."

- You are correct, Your Highness. I went through the records in the Directory.

Alberu stayed quiet as he listened to Cale explaining everything he had learned through this Directory.

The hypothesis that the White Star might be the first Mercenary King.

The hypothesis that the Directory might really be a record of Ancient Powers.

Alberu closed his eyes.

My poor head.

Dealing with the nobles was definitely eons times easier than this.

"So, what is it that you need?" Alberu asked once Cale finished his explanation.

The corners of Cale's lips slowly went up, giving Alberu an iffy feeling.

- Seven days and approximately 9,889 record books.

"What is that?"

- That is how many books I read.

"...What?"