Chapter Three: By the Order of Your Imperial Majesty

"Yes, my Lord."

***

Sounds of terribly quick steps stomped the palace hallway, waking up the half-closed eyes of the guards on duty. They practically blinked several times at the running step noise to see the one who had been disturbing the peaceful silence of dawn.

It was none other than a silver-haired noble Fae lord named Lucien Nocturnov.

Everyone in the palace knows this noble Lord so well and is well-respected. He is one of many men who stood firm since the founding years of the new nation, Mechtatsvete. With his sword in his hands, Lucien had marched out into numerous battlefields, whereby his scars became the witness of each war he survived.

When the new nation had started to stabilise and retain her peace, Lucien Nocturnov dropped down his sword, taking up once more his passion for medicine and became the man who founded the Department of Royal Physicians in the palace. He recruited the best doctors all over Mechtatsvete to make up the team that will serve both the royal family and the people in times health are under threat.

With the news of his twin sister and the current Queen Consort, Yelena Nocturnova became pregnant with the potential heir to the throne, Lord Nocturnov was immediately rose his ranking up with a new position as the Head of Royal Physicians. His main duty is to attend to the Queen and to make sure she had a smooth pregnancy.

Hence, with the birth of Tsesarevich Ivan safely into the world, Lord Nocturnov was entrusted with a greater project: to build a medical school in the capital. The best ones who graduated from the school will be selected as the future Royal Physicians.

So now, his attendance was crucially needed. Every time Lucien was summoned at the time he felt so much more relaxed making him couldn't sit still. His heart would explode if it can, further with a burdening heavy worry buried in his mind.

The body of a royal is indeed different from us, the people of no status and privileges. They appear majestically tough, yet fragile like those of glass.

This was Lucien's favourite saying, to every newly selected Royal Physician. Besides the one who tends to the royals, also bears secrets of the royals' private life in their hands. This means, that the closer they get to the crowns, the more likely their heads to roll over due to their dishonesty.

The cool breeze of early dawn briskly touched Lucien's face, rejuvenating him with a morning glow. He hoped for the same; perhaps good news should he be heard later.

Soon Lucien caught the Imperial Messenger, Sir Pyotr Preobrazhensky, who was waiting for his arrival at the very door of the Imperial Study.

"Gods, I'm truly sorry for making you wait for my arrival."

Pyotr nodded hastily, urging the Fae lord to get into the study without further a due.

***

"Your humble servant, Lucien Nocturnov, has arrived, Your Majesty."

Lucien gave honourable respect to his King, Tsar Miroslavich I, who had his back facing him. The crowned man did not even budge a bit at the announcement Lucien made, which indirectly told him that a grave matter is what the most to be expected.

A deep exhale could be heard after a moment of deep silence filled the room. What comes next was a huge shock to Lucien.

"My brother, Lucien..."

He thought he heard mistakenly wrong. The voice that he heard just now was nothing familiar to his ears. It sounded dejected and disconsolate. What is going on here? I mean... Did His Grace just shed tears?