Chapter 32

(A/N: FINAL CHAPTER PT.2 OF 2. Again, multiple POV changes)

(Licht and Leila)

Licht and Leila walked through a grove of trees. They filtered the light, creating bolts of light along their path like fireflies in the daylight.

"Doesn't it feel nice to go outside once in a while?" Leila said.

"Yeah." Licht replied with a warm smile.

After a full recovery, Licht and Leila started living together.

It might sound a little crazy, but after she got her memories back, Leila knew that Licht was special to her.

The grocery bag between them hit Leila's knee as they walked and Licht moved it to his other side. He then smiled at her as he offered his hand.

"Let's hold hands." He suggested.

Leila silently agreed as she laced her fingers through his, pleased by the warm feeling he gave her.

****

"And now an update from the news room."

As they walked past several stores, a huge TV caught their attention.

"Local police have officially ended the investigation into the deaths of two youths that shocked the city." The news reporter on the TV said. "The cause of both deaths was a traumatic blow to the head, but due to lack of evidence and a suspect, the cases are now officially closed."

Licht stood frozen in place, his eyes fixated on the screen.

He was also a victim of the human experiments.

After the government found out about Licht, they began secretly providing him with financial aid.

'We could expose the truth to the public. But at Licht's request, we've decided to keep it to ourselves. Even still, I imagine he must still feel angry about the government's desperate attempts to cover up the truth.' Leila thought.

Leila squeezed Licht's hand encouragingly.

"We know the truth." Leila said. "Besides, knowing Thoma and Monica can rest in peace is the most important thing."

"Yeah." Licht agreed, but he glared at the screen seeming somewhat displeased.

"Are you okay?" Leila asked.

"It's just that... some thoughts come to mind." Licht said. "But anyway, it's nothing major."

"I'd love for you to tell me what's on your mind." Leila said. "I mean, if you're comfortable with it."

Licht turned from the TV screen and nodded at her.

"It's about my father." He admitted. "Looking back, my childhood was somewhat unconventional. I mean, we never really got that father and son thing down. It gets me thinking - was I born just so I could be a part of his schemes? I'm not sure whether he truly loved me or not."

'I see. I understand where he's coming from. Silas Ackerman... For thirteen years he waited for Licht to wake up. That was his genuine expression of love.'

"Licht, I don't remember much about your father, but I know one thing for sure." Leila began. "When we were living in the orphanage, his kindness and the way he smiled at you was genuine. Someone like him, who cared for helpless orphans, certainly loved you as well."

Licht was silent as he took in what she was saying.

"The code to the records room is L0129. That's your birthday, isn't it? January 29th! That's even more proof!" Leila continued and Licht opened his eyes. "Besides, you only had good memories of him, right?"