Chapter 22

Curled up like a ball in the backseat between Mina and Nalalie, Leila woke up. She muttered the code as she woke, committing it to memory.

'L0129... No matter what, I can't afford to forget it. It's our clue to finding Licht.' Leila thought.

I sit up, noticing the sun quickly rising for a new day. Another day without Licht in the real world. 

'I promise... I'll find you.' 

Subaru, Nalalie and Mina stayed quiet, yawning without a sound whilst Ray woke up with a groan. The past few mornings have had them all waking up in a panic. However, this time, they all sat motionless for several minutes. But the silence was far from awkward.

They were all just tired.

The rays of the sun came shining through the windows, bathing the group in warm light.

"I need a stretch." Ray said as he opened his door and stepped out.

Subaru did the same thing as he opned the door on his side. Mina and Leila also decided to stretch their legs for a bit as Mina opned the door and the two slipped out from the back seat.

Nalalie opted go open the car window, letting some fresh air in.

The others did their thing, flexing their limbs as she viewed them from where she sat inside the car.

For a moment, it looked like they were all friends on a road trip.

But in reality...

"Isn't it stuffy in there?" Subaru asked as he popped his head through the window, letting his elbow rest on the frame.

"Nah, I'm okay." Nalalie replied.

She broke into a smile when she saw him staring at her through the window like a cute little animal with those almond-shaped eyes.

"I got this space all to myself for the moment, so I'm still able to stretch out a bit." She told him.

Subaru smiled sweetly back at her, as if comforted by her smile and kiss her forehead, making her blush.

"It feels nice out here, come on." He encouraged her.

"A-alright." Nalalie agreed, deciding to exit the car and Subaru stepped back so she could open the door.

The coolness of the morning air hit her body and she instantly felt the chill on her skin.

Just then, a car approached them.

Ray got back into their lane, minding the car as it slowed down.

'It's stopping. What could someone else be doing here deep in the mountains? There's nothing here except an abandoned orphanage.'

Their windows rolled down, revealing two men inside.

"Hey! What are y'all doin' out here?" One of the men asked.

"Uhh, we're just doing some research on..." Leila began, before being cut off.

"Just a little exploring." Mina explained. "We were kind of dared to go to the old orphanage."

Leila gave her a confused look.

"If the reason why Father was assassinated was supposed to be kept a secret, it's best we don't mention that we're here to search around the orphanage." Subaru quietly told her.

"You mean these men could be involved in trying to cover up the human experiments...?" Leila replied just as quietly.

Subaru nodded.