Chapter 27

As they reached the top of the staircase, they all gasped at the sight in front of them.

Subaru's apparition was standing there, staring at them blankly.

"This way." The apparition spoke, before it ran off again.

Subaru ran after it without saying a word and Nalalie couldn't help but think back to what happened to Monica.

She did her best to forget about this bad omen and tried to catch up with him. Her anxiety peaked when Subaru turned a corner and she could no longer see him.

"Subaru, wait!" Nalalie called out as she turned the corner, only to stop in her tracks.

The others arrived behind her as smoke gathered under their feet, crawling to pool right in front of Subaru.

Subaru was standing there amidst the smoke, staring at the apparition. The apparition was glaring back at him, and the sight gave Nalalie the shivers as she hurried to his side.

'This is Subaru's memory.' Nalalie thought.

The little boy looked up at them, his long hair hiding a part of his face.
Subaru clenched his fist, finding the strength to take the step forward.

"I already recognize this." He said.

"Subaru, wait!" Nalalie called out, but he didn't listen.

Instead, he stepped into the vision.

CRASH!

The scene opened with the violent sound of something breaking. The young Subaru stirred in bed and climbed out of his sheets.

He rubbed his eyes as he made his way down the stairs, and he heard it again.

CRASH!

'What's happening?'

The lights were on in the living room despite it being late at night.

"I can't take it anymore!" Subaru's mother exclaimed.

"Get ahold of yourself!" Subaru's dad shouted back.

'Are his parents fighting?'

The little boy hid by the entrance, watching the scene unfold in front of him in terror.

"Mum... Are you crying again?" He whispered, only for him to hear.

"That red eye of his... It's so unnerving. I can't... I can't stand to look at him." Subaru's mother said.

'Why? What did he do? Why can't his own mother accept his red eye as something that makes him unique?'

Subaru's mother's words made her blood boil.

"Darling, please. You need to rest, please calm down." Subaru's dad tried talking to her.

"Do you see how he looks at me?" Subaru's mother asked as she struggled to get away from his father's arms.

Nalalie couldn't believe what she was hearing.

'Subaru had mentioned it before. But I still can't believe how they treated him. He was only a kid!'

The little boy lowered his head and walked lifelessly back to his room.

The vision slowly faded and Subaru walked over to to the others, looking forward like nothing happened.

"I knew it." He spoke, managing to huff out a self-deprecating chuckle.

"But Subaru..." Leila said.