12- The Witch and Her Cat

Start from the beginning

After greeting her parents in the bakery, Marinette heads upstairs to her bedroom. She hopes she remembered to leave Adrien food this time. He almost got caught by her parents last week when he snuck down to make himself a sandwich, due to Marinette forgetting to leave him lunch. Tom was convinced someone broken in, but Sabine thought it was ridiculous for someone to break and sneak in to only make a sandwich and not steal anything.

As Marinette pushes through her trap door, a white blurred figure rushes past her and she drops her bag, eyes wide. She turns around and the person jumps at her. "AHHH!" Out of instinct, she sucker-punches the person in the gut and watches with caution as they fall over. The white sheet comes off and Adrien lays there, grunting in pain. She glares at him. "That was not funny, Adrien!"

"Yeah, I see that now," He whispers, hugging his stomach. "Damn, you throw a hard punch."

"You're lucky I didn't pepper spray you," She says, helping him up. "Or throw you down the stairs."

He grins. "It was a risk I was willing to take."

Marinette crosses her arms, still annoyed.

"I'm sorry," Adrien finally says with a laugh. "I didn't know you'd get so scared. But I... I love Halloween. Growing up, my mom would always help with my costumes and we'd go to these extravagant parties my father would host for his brand. Halfway through, we'd sneak off and eat bags of candy she brought with her. That's why it's my favorite holiday." His smile frowns as the memory fades.

"That's so sweet, Adrien," Marinette whispers as she touches his arm. "Your mother sounds wonderful."

He sighs. "She was."

The sheet on the floor starts floating.

"Adrien..." She nudges his arm.

"Yeah, Marinette?" He answers.

As the sheet rises more, the fear disappears from Marinette's heart and she starts laughing. "Oh! Ha ha, very funny, Adrien. I'm not falling for it again."

Adrien's eyes widen as he stares at the floating sheet and stands up. He steps behind Marinette, using her as a shield. "T-That's not- I'm not doing that."

"What?" She asks, her stomach dropping. "You swear?"

He nods really fast.

The sheet jumps at them.

"AHHHHHHH!" Marinette and Adrien's legs get tangled as the sheet covers them and they fall on top of each other. Their heads bump together and their cheeks burn red when they realize how close the are. "Sorry," They mumble and try to stand.

"Hahahahahaha!" Their hear laughter coming from across the room and lift the sheet to see Plagg sitting on her desk. "You should have seen your faces! I know why you love Halloween now, Adrien!"

"Not cool, Plagg," Adrien mutters. The kwami keeps laughing as he helps his friend stand. "Any plans for the spooky day, Mari?"

She shakes her head. "No, just helping my Mom with trick or treaters. Alya said she could sneak me in to Chloe's party, but-"

"Chloe's throwing a Halloween party?" Adrien asks, excited. "Can we go?"

"Why?" She asks, disgusted.

"I'm dying for some human interaction," He explains and holds his hands together as he begs for Marinette's permission. "There's no risk! We dyed my hair and I have brown-eye contacts. Besides, it's Halloween- everyone will be wearing costumes!" He grabs her hands. "Please, can we go?"

Marinette hesitates. "How am I going to explain you to everyone?"

He shrugs. "We'll think of something."