Chapter 29: Ronan

Start from the beginning

I'm not sure what else I expected. A motivational speech? Team huddle? At least nobody is crying. Yet. Maybe Finn will burst into tears and his weeping will be the last thing I hear before I bite the dust. Or maybe Rachel will declare "YOU'VE BEEN PRANKED" and the cameras will pop out and everyone will cry tears of joy as we're handed a novelty check.

Becca appears at my side, tugging on my army jacket. She doesn't look like she's on the verge of tears. She looks pissed, like a teacher who asked a question two minutes ago and is still waiting for the class to answer. "Ronan. We need a plan."

"No shit," I say, trying to blink my eyesight back to normal. "Unfortunately, I think my scheming days are over. You're the psychic here. What are our chances?"

"Outlook not so good." Becca glances at Rachel to confirm she's busy with her watch, then continues in a hushed voice, "We don't have time to waste, so I'll just say it. I wouldn't be talking to you if I had any other option. However, your craziest plans are somehow always the ones that work out in the end, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask."

"Wow. You really know how to make a man feel special, Fisher."

Finn reaches for Becca's hand again, and my stomach twists uncomfortably. "I might have an idea. Remember the cop that showed up in Dolores's yard? The one she convinced to go back to Needles?"

Becca frowns. "I don't know if convinced is the best word, but yes, I remember --"

"Do you think you could do the same thing to Rachel? Make her leave Dusty Valley?"

She opens her mouth to answer, but I cut her off. "We're not in Dusty Valley."

"What are you talking about?" Finn asks, annoyed.

"We passed over the town line on the way here." A second wave of nausea rises in my throat as I recall Harper's terrible driving. "Rachel's curse prevents her from returning to Dusty Valley. That's why she met us at the Prickly Cactus. It's also how she showed up at Dolores's trailer. Lourdes Park isn't part of town. I looked it up in the library's public records."

"You went to the library?"

Becca ignores him. "How far away is the town line?"

"Five minutes by car," I reply.

"So, about two miles." She grimaces. "That's not much of a plan."

"Great," says Finn, dragging a hand through his tangled curls. "We're doomed."

I turn away, sticking my hands into my jacket pockets so they can't see them shaking. As I do so, my fingers brush against the cool metallic ridges of Harper's car keys, sending an electric shock through my whole body. For an accountant to an evil, hundred-year-old real estate agent, Harper was surprisingly easy to pick-pocket. (One of the perks of having disreputable friends -- you pick up life skills you never knew you'd need. Thank you, Mikey.)

At least Becca was right about one thing. While I may not be anyone's first choice for reasonable advice, bad ideas come as naturally to me as breathing. Stealing Harper's Beamer is going to require a hell of a lot more dumb luck than pinching her keys at the bar, but who knows? Maybe luck will finally be on our side today. 

I can feel Becca's keen eyes on my back as Rachel claps her hands together to get our attention. Unlike the Lightlake counselors, she doesn't need a megaphone to be heard. "Let's start at the beginning," Rachel says, her voice so effortlessly compelling that we all freeze like statues to listen. She swivels on her kitty heels to smile at Oliver. "With you."

Even from ten feet away, I can see Andy's face go pale. She turns towards her brother, but he's already facing away, his expression remorseful as he signs to Talia one of the few ASL phrases I know: I'm sorry.