Buffer

The last class of the day finally rolled around. English with Ponyboy. Then we agreed to meet the rest of the gang at the DX after school.

I walked into the classroom right as the late bell rung and sat next to Ponyboy as I usually do. He gave me a warm smile.

The teacher gave us a reading assignment. We only had to read a few more chapters of a book we were reading in class. I took my copy out of my backpack and flipped through the pages until I found my bookmark.

*****
The class went by slowly, but finally the last bell rung. Everyone rushed out of class, and Pony and I headed to our lockers.

"Did you finish reading those three chapters?" Pony asked me.

"No, i'll have to do it tonight." I sighed.

"I didn't either. Why don't we read together at the DX or somethin?" He asked.

I nodded my head with a smile. Finally, after getting what we needed from our lockers, we headed outside the building to meet Johnny and Two-Bit like we'd always done.

"Hey Johnny Cakes." I greeted him.

"You goin to the DX this time, Livi?" Johnny asked me.

"Yep."

A moment later, Two-Bit pulled up beside us in his car. We got in, and headed for the DX.

"Ah Pony, you got one month of track left or somethin, right?" Two-Bit asked as he drove.

"Yeah season ends in May." He answered.

"You ever gonna pick up basketball again, Livi?" Two asked.

"Well maybe. Probably shouldn't of took a break this year." I replied.

"Why don't we stop and get some food to bring to them, huh?" Two-Bit suggested.

We agreed it was a good idea. So we drove down town real fast, stoped at a diner, and got a to go. We ordered a ton of chicken tenders, fies, sandwiches, and got a coke for everyone.

After that, we pulled into the DX. The others were already there standing outside, besides Darry who was at work.

Once we got out of the car, we were each holding some of the bags of food, since we had a lot.

"We brought food!" Two-Bit yelled.

The others perked their heads up.

"Oh good, what'd ya bring?" Steve asked enthusiastically.

"Tenders, fries, sandwiches, and cokes." I answered.

"Cool man, i'm starvin." Dally said.

We brought it over to them and went to the break room to eat. Two-Bit reached into the bags of food, and handed everyone a sandwich and a coke. We set the basket of tenders and basket of fries on the small table near us.

We talked as we ate. Steve and Sodapop had to get back to work as soon as they finished. The rest of us stayed and hung out a while.

After Pony and I had finished eating, we went to finish reading those chapters for school. We decided to read them inside the actual gas station since it was quieter. It didn't take us long.

*******
After a while of hanging around the DX with the gang, we all decided to head home since it was dark by now. We had stayed a little extra.

I kissed Pony and said goodbye to the others. Johnny and I grabbed our school backpacks and started walking home.

We walked through down town to get to our neighborhood just to walk by all the shops. The street lights were on and light from the shops shined onto the sidewalk. It wasn't dark enough to see stars yet though, but the sun was set.