The Right Railway

For starters, the story of Pony and I first gettin together is fun to tell and I like it. So i'm gonna tell it.

It was a warm afternoon, and the whole gang was hanging around the DX. Except Darry, seen as he's at work.

Customers coming in and getting their car fixed. Pony and I had just arrived from school, and were outside talking about a poem he said reminded him of me.

The others besides Soda and Steve were inside, messing around in the gas station.

"Hey Livi, why don't you come help me with this one?" Soda asked, pointing to one of the new costumers car.

I knew little about fixing cars from times Soda or Steve forced me to help em. They'd try to teach me about fixing them time to time, so they'd ask me to try one on my own.

"Sure." I shrugged.

"Just needs new of breaks, and a change of tires, you got this one?"

"Yeah, of course." I brushed off.

I grabbed one of the tool boxes and got to fixing it. Ponyboy watched as he talked to Soda. It didn't take long for me to finish.

After that, Pony and I went close to around the shop, sat in the grass, and watched the sunset. It's not the best view from back here, but it's something. We've always watched it together when we can.

We made small conversation, and before I knew it, it turned into deep words. I don't know how, but it did. We were moving closer to each other the more we talked.

"I gotta let something off my chest, Livi." Pony started.

Then, we were interrupted by a windshield wiper being thrown beside me. I looked up and saw it were Steve and Dally fighting over it.

"Can you throw me that, Liv?" Steve called from a distance.

I threw it to him while Dally was laughing at him, then went inside the shop with Two-Bit and Johnny.

"Old bum won't even let me work." Steve mumbled.

I looked back over to Pony and he shrugged. We thought to go inside and join the others since the moments ruined now.

Two-Bit and Johnny were talking while playing with their switch blades, and I caught Dally trying to steal a box of cigarettes from behind the counter.

"Good goin Dal, right in plain site." I said sarcastically.

He ignored me and gave Pony and I one of the cigarettes. Dally used his necklace to light his. I grabbed a battery from the counter and used that to light mine and Pony's.

"Hey, there's a huge party at Buck's tonight. Y'wanna come, Livi?" Dally asked.

I thought for a second, but didn't say anything. I'm not really a party girl, but I'll go occasionally.

"Pony, you should come to." He offered.

I could tell Ponyboy wanted to say no, but when I agreed to go, I guess he thought he might as well.

"Savvy, see you guys tonight. Imma head out and help Buck get all the booze." And Dally walked out.

"You really wanna go?" Pony asked me.

"Well, got nothin else to do." I sighed.

He shrugged, and we went to join Johnny and Two-Bit.

Later that night, Johnny and I walked home from the DX. Our parents weren't home, so it was safe.

Johnny and I were hanging out in my room while I was freshening up for that party.

"What're you gettin ready for?" Johnny asked.