three

It's been a few days since my encounter with Zayden Stone. Mostly because I've been avoiding him as if he's carrying the black death - but I'm pretty sure he wasn't really trying to find me. It's been two weeks, and for the last three days he hasn't been in school. 

I'm not a stalker but you notice if the kid you're avoiding isn't needed to be avoided anymore. The talk about him has died down, and I've hadn't had a run-in with the Queen bitch - which I'm really ecstatic about because she tends to draw attention towards her victims.

Right now, it's the middle of Mrs. Tate's class, and I'm finishing up a math worksheet - but I didn't miss the sound of the door slamming indicating someone has just walked in. Just like any normal person would do, I looked up and to my surprise it's Zayden Stone. 

Just like the rest of the class, I'm curious to why he hasn't been in school but knowing that it's none of my business I go back to doing the math worksheet. I hear footsteps pass me, and for someone reason I hold my breath - something does not feel right.

*****

Lunch rolls by quicker than I thought it would, the pop quiz I got in health is definitely going to drop my grade insanely.

As usual, I make my way to the library. Today, I didn't bring any lunch so I had to drop by the cafeteria and grab what they were serving. Pizza; fries; and a bottle of water. I waited by the library door, waiting for the librarian to turn around or something and fortunately she bent down to arrange some books on the lower shelf - with that I took my chance to run by her quickly and go to my hidden corner. 

With a giggle, I pull out my chair and get my things settled - right when I was about to plug in my headphones a chair scrapes in front of me. 

I look up and come face to face with none other than Zayden fucking Stone.

He's staring at me once again, and I stare right back. Looking him over, he looked so different from last time. But there was no doubt in my mind he was the same person, but this one just looked so drained and tired.

Without realizing the words slipped out of my mouth, "Are you okay?"

His eyes widen for a fraction of a second, but he goes back to his usual self - I probably just imagined it. 

"I'm fine."

I give him a goofy smile, "That's exactly what a person who isn't 'fine' says."

He chuckles at my words, and even though it was a really nice laugh, just from that I realize he really is tired.

"Just tell the nurse you can't concentrate in class and that you need to rest, she's nice enough to let you rest."

He stares at me then nods really slowly in return - as if he's deciding something.

"I can... take you there if you like of course?"

He gathers his things and stands up, "Lead the way."

I quickly get my things - leaving my food once again - and take him to the nurse's office. 

***** 

Our walk there was anything but eventful, but I was happy with it. I didn't have anything to say to this complete stranger and he hadn't had anything to say to me either. 

Right now, we were inside waiting for the nurse to be done tending another kid.

"Thank you."

 I whipped my head towards Zayden but calmed down quickly before I made a fool out of myself.

"Didn't do anything."

"You were the first person to actually talk to me."

"What?" I was shocked since he was the main topic of every conversation in the fucking school since he came.

"Usually these girls come up to me and try to fuck me. That's it."

"Sorry..?" He's a guy, isn't he suppose to like sex.

He started laughing at me in return but we quickly settled down when the nurse, Mrs. Janet, started heading our way with a sweet smile on her face. 

"What would you guys need?"

I waited for him to say something but he wasn't talking so I decided to speak up.

"Zayden needs to rest, is it okay if he laid down for a while?"

"Of Course, follow me."

We followed her, and when we were at an isolated corner she gestured for Zayden to get some rest here. He settled his things down and took a seat in the makeshift bed and let out a loud yawn.

"Bye... then."

He looked towards me - surprised that I was still here.

"Can you wait till I fall asleep?" He asked, but there was still no emotion evident on his face.

Why is it so hard for people to just let go?

I didn't know what to say, and rejecting him would just be so... awkward. With a nod, I made my way to one of the chairs and sat there. Neither one of us spoke, and I didn't mind. It was a calmful silence, which I appreciated very much.

 After I heard some light snoring I decided it was time I took my leave.