Chapter 15

(GIF of the Train Station scene form Man of Steel)

Late update, I know, and I apologize. You can thank ole Makenna for this chapter getting up. She pushed me.

Hope you like the chapter, it's a little shorter than I would prefer but it's 2am and I'm tired.

------------------------------

I saw Knox cut right when he walked out so I'm hoping to just walk until I find him.

The sidewalks are crowded as I step out of the bar. I merge with the sea of people almost flawlessly, aside from a grumbled complaint from the older gentleman I cut in front of.

Suddenly the large group in front of me starts to part down the middle, staring at the ground as they pass.

As I get closer, I can see that it was Knox. He was sitting on his haunches in the middle of the sidewalk tugging at his hair mindlessly. He had his back turned to me so he didn't know I'd approached.

I walked around in front of him. I squatted a few feet away, giving him his space, but so I was still eye level with him.

"Knox." I say.

He looks up at me.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

He casts his eyes downward, "You know, even though I wasn't in love with Tracey, I did love her. At one time in my life. And I'd already started to love the child. The thought of being a father. I wanted it. I was ready for that. It's all gone now, Adalaid." His voice cracks at the end and that broken sound makes my chest constrict.

I stand up and walk over to him. He looks up before he pulls me closer to him, resting his forehead on my stomach.

I hold him to me, running my fingers through his hair. Both of us ignoring the people around us. It was just us, him and me, right in the middle of a crowded sidewalk in New York. Not a single person knowing what's just happened.

We stay like that for a while before I decide to sink to my knees right in front of him.

"Do you want to go?" I ask.

He nods and we help each other stand up.

Both standing now, he starts to walk, I have to catch up with him. He looks down at me when I get beside him, then back in front of him.

We walk in silence, no destination in mind. I steal glances every few minutes to see that he's still staring ahead.

After a few more blocks I break the silence between us,

"Where do you want to go? We can't just walk around all night."

He shrugs, not looking over to me.

"My apartment?" I suggest, to which he shrugs again. "Taking that as a yes."

The walk to my apartment was spent in more silence. I hear his heavy footsteps over the traffic and quiet conversations of people walk past and around us.

We walked past bars, coffee shops and convenient stores. A few people walking their dogs, some people on a late night run.

I seen a woman with dried tears on her face, I gave her a sympathetic smile when she made eye contact with me. She just looked at the ground and continued walking.

Turning a corner, the last one to my place, I look over to Knox. His face still impassive, not letting me know a thing that he's thinking.

Getting into my building, we walk into the elevator. I press the button to my floor while he grips one of the bars and leans against the wall. I look up to his face to see him staring at me.