V - The Revelation

Start from the beginning

Nick looked at his love and searched her eyes for the truth; he needed to solve many questions that were making him confused. She smiled in a soft manner, as if reading his thoughts. Nicholas smiled back, although deep inside he was scared and suspicious.

Sivoc soon came close and started to talk about the purpose of the mission.

"Nicholas, I know the way we approached you seemed rather strange, let alone the fact that we brought you to the spacecraft with no further explanations. But we have a situation here: we need you to help us solve a serious issue in our planet."

"How can I be helpful to creatures with such advanced technology?"

The young man couldn't understand anything. All that mystery made no sense to him. He had always dreamed of seeing the universe in person, but traveling to other galaxy had never been in his plans, even more with people he barely knew. As for Zara, he did not know if she was the woman, he had thought she was. He felt betrayed, disappointed. He didn't see how true her feelings for him were.

"Several ancestors of ours have already landed on Earth", Drako cut in. "We have information that your planet's governments tried to imprison them in order to get data about us, our knowledge, and technologies, which could represent an improvement in the world's race for economy and weapons. That explains our fear to have an open and direct contact with you. Above all, we are here in a mission: to protect our home. And only you can help us."

That was when the earthling got mixed up.

"How could I be successful in protecting their planet? They have plenty of knowledge. Much more than I do, for sure."

While the boy seemed to be lost in his own thoughts, something went on between Sivoc and Zara. She looked at the Commander, because she had received a message in her mind.

"Zara, we should talk straight to Nicholas. He must trust us. And the truth about our mission will show him that our own intentions are the best of all, and that we act in good faith. First, we must tell him about our main objective, then we'll tell him the whole story since the beginning, so that our guest understands better why we're here, as well as the links we have with his planet. Moreover, we know he's under risk. There's another ship from planet Life coming after him. It must be getting nearby now, and they won't be compassionate to the boy."

The redhead moved closer to her love.

"We live in about the 641° Century, according to your age's chronology, Nick. We're able to travel through time due to the advances in the technology of our era. We have found several space-time bridges, which the physicists of your planet call wormholes. That's how we fast cover big distances among our galaxies."

Those moments inside the spaceship felt like hours. It seemed as if the clocks had stopped. Nicholas was feeling more comfortable, though. It might have been the effect of the quality of the oxygen that he was breathing, which made him feel as if everything that was happening around him didn't matter.

That was a unique experience for him. He couldn't understand clearly what was going on, but all his attention was on the pieces of knowledge he was getting. After such startling discoveries, he needed to learn more.

"For a long while, beings from our planet have come to Earth in order to extend life as much as possible and make it better there. Many actions have been taken in order to help your people, who are still on the path to evolution.

Thus, we stop you from taking catastrophic measures that could also represent our end. At the same time, we cannot change the past by creating temporal paradoxes that may cause any harm to the lives of human beings of the future. We do a type of work based on observation, interfering preventively in the present. If humanity takes the path to destruction, we will redirect it to self-preservation."

Nicholas' facial expression was one of pure panic; he felt sick, on the verge of fainting. It was too much information for a single guy.

"The actual truth is that we are humanity in the future." Zara said.

  _______________________________