Taking a Stand has Consequences Part II

...royal city of the Critonian Empire

What have I done? Did I make the right choices? Perhaps I should have just let things be as they were. What makes me react so swiftly without considering the consequences when I see injustice? pondered Cassius as he sat in the cell that night with the other slaves. I need to quiet my mind like Master Jedovan taught me, so I can try to get the answers I seek. It has been difficult to do that these last few days, but I must try, thought Cassius as he worked to clear his mind of all thoughts and find the peace within.

Removing all the worrying thoughts swirling through his head, Cassius finally started to feel some peace inside. Now that his mind was completely void of his own troubling thoughts, Cassius heard the words of his Master speak to him. "So, it would seem that you have created some trouble for yourself, my young apprentice. You react so swiftly because your soul is good, and it cannot tolerate inequity in any form. I think it is best that we continue this conversation face-to-face. Please move toward the light in your mind using your conscious awareness." Cassius did as his master requested, and instantly Cassius was face-to-face with Master Jedovan on the hillside overlooking the city below.

"How is this possible?...And it is even daylight," a surprised Cassius asked his master.

"Our minds have joined in the void. I created this setting to make you feel more at home and relaxed," answered Master Jedovan. "In truth, your physical body is still in the cell with the others. Due to your situation, I feel it is prudent that you continue with the lessons we have started. The best time to do this will be at night, so your physical body can get rest. Then you can apply what you learned during the day."

"This is amazing, Master. I was starting to get very concerned, but I feel better now that I am here with you."

"You will have some tough trials and decisions to face in the near future. We should begin your next lesson now," spoke Master Jedovan.

After what felt like days of training with Master Jedovan, Cassius awoke in the cell just as the sun was starting to shine some light into the opening above.

"Wake up, you mangy slaves. There is much work to get done this day. The guards will bring some gruel to eat. Then you all will be escorted to the arena for training," growled the Training Master through the opening.

Cassius and the rest of the slaves had to quickly eat the soggy tasteless mixture in the wooden bowls with their fingers as the guards yelled for them to get ready for training.

The sun was already high in the sky as Cassius and the rest were escorted out to the arena's main battle grounds. The smell of blood still lingered in the air from the mock battles and fights performed a couple days before.

"You all are the newest slaves and will fight each other to the death as we re-enact our proudest battles. Only a few of you will survive the training and the first battles. Those who survive these first battles can then call yourselves Crocinators...for as long as you remain alive. Now each of you grab one of those wooden swords and pair up. We will begin the initial sword training exercises before we proceed with ability testing," yelled the Training Master.

As a former member of the Critonian Empire's elite guard, Cassius' sword skills were already far above most his fellow slave warriors. Even most of the captured foreign fighters from recent battles could not match the fighting prowess of Cassius as he defeated each warrior pitted against him.

At midday, the Training Master told the slaves to go get some water. As Cassius and the others took turns drawing water from the cistern, he spotted the Training Master speaking with someone wearing the clothing of the upper elite.