Trouble in Paradise

...the royal city of Avaritis

It was mid-morning and the sun was already heating up the palace and surrounding city. Aderan came into the queen's sleeping quarters with a tray loaded with fruits and breads and looked towards Queen Neferities sitting up in her bed. "Here are some items from the chef, my Queen. I will fetch some chilled goat's milk and be back soon." Aderan set the tray down on the terrace table and started to leave.

"Thank you, Aderan," spoke the queen as her trusted servant left the room.

Fully awake now, Queen Neferities began once again pondering the words she heard in her head the night before: Please continue exploring the teachings you learned so long ago. These teachings will help you fight the coming evil you will face. The queen rose from the luxurious bed and walked out onto the bedroom terrace. She stared out at the royal city. Those words felt so real. I must assume that the teachings are those I learned from Master Amati when I was just a girl.

...20 years ago

Master Amati stopped their current lesson and looked at the young queen-to-be. "My young and beautiful apprentice, you must always remember that your mind is part of an incredibly vast consciousness that expands across all things. You and I and every other soul are and will always be connected. We are all one."

Young Neferities listened intently to his every word. "Master, why is there so much suffering if we are all one?" questioned the young apprentice.

"Most do not understand their power and birthright. Ignorance of this divine nature we all possess leads to suffering," replied the master.

"I hope someday everyone will see this truth of unity!" exclaimed Neferities.

"Perhaps they will, my child. Maybe you will even be the source of that truth," said Master Amati as he smiled at his young trainee.

"Now off with you, master-to-be. It is time for your weapons and hand-to-hand combat training." Master Amati gestured for Neferities to go to the training courtyard.

As Queen Neferities recalled more fond memories of her training with Master Amati, Aderan came back to the queen's chambers with the chilled goat's milk and set it down on the table. "Excuse me, my Queen. Here is the chilled goat's milk to go with your breakfast."

Bringing her mind back to the present, Queen Neferities responded, "Thank you, my dear. You can go now."

Aderan remained fidgeting in the corner of the terrace.

The queen turned and looked at the nervousness on the young woman's otherwise captivating face. "What is it my dear? What is on your mind?"

"I have been told that your brother Amon is back in the royal city and would like to seek council with you, my Queen," responded Aderan.

A meeting request from my brother. What might this be about? thought Queen Neferities.

"Very well. Let us schedule something for later this evening. Perhaps even for the evening meal," spoke the queen to her most trusted attendant.

Queen Neferities had not heard from her older brother since she had placed Amon in charge of the western border of the Isonian Empire. Almost five years ago while meditating, the queen had received strong intuition that Amon was planning a coup against her and her council. Her spies had confirmed the upcoming attempt for control of the throne. Not wanting to imprison or execute her brother, Queen Neferities decided to station Amon as security and liaison leader at the western border. She had also sent one of her most trusted lieutenants to be second in command at the border post.