"Thank you...would you like to check on your brother? he might be upset if they've been fighting"

"That relationship in none of my business"

"But he's your brother?"

"And that's why I'm not going...he wouldn't want me to pry in it, he can figure it out."

He leaves the table, places his plate by the sinks drainer and walks upstairs. He had a feeling she was right but again, out of his own judgement, he left his brother alone and entered his cluttered and messy room. The were so many post-it notes, slices of paper and drawings he had took from the book, diagrams with circles and marking around them, mostly creatures and weak points.

As he settled in his bed and places the old school Walkman cassette tape player with a small half broken set of headphones attached to it. It used to belong to Kyle but when he went back to the house he found it in his room and never got around to giving it back, he only had 3 tapes from what Kyle had next to it.

Shaun entered the first, which was labelled "Ninth Birthday" and listened to it playing creakily in his ears:

"First recording! I didnt think I'd get anything for my birthday today...but my grandma found this old Walkman in this box from the attic! its so cool, Shaun doesn't even know I have it so he can't throw a tantrum when I dont give it him"

Shaun paused the recording and ejected it, sourly throwing it out after the 50th time he'd heard it in the month he had it, he doesn't know why but knowing he had one birthday present while Shaun got nothing but a plush cat made him jealous.

Entering the next one labelled "Shaun"

"Shaun was hit really hard today....It made him bleed, Grandpa stopped when he saw the red...I was so scared I just froze, I couldn't do anything why didnt I just DO something....Im such a coward" Kyle sounded around 14 here, and the sobbing voice on the other end was making Shaun feel sick to the stomach, this tape was probably the reason he left this thing behind, the sound of footsteps came up the stairs in the background and he quickly stopped the recording, these tapes weren't long, but the final one was the longest, and Shaun only heard it once during the month and couldn't bring himself to listen to it again.

He didnt even want to read the label.

Putting it back in the bedside draw covered in crumpled pieces of paper, and there was soon a knock at his door and Alyssa walks in.

"Hey bud, whatcha up to?" 

"Just thinking"

"About?

"The Reign...and Kyle"

Alyssa paces his wall, reading all the notes he had prepared and wrote, a fascinated gaze in her eyes.

"This wall is coming along nicely, how has your training going?"

"Its one-sided, as usual"

She hums lightly, turning to look at him with her violet eyes burning in the dim room, he didnt open his curtains often and the room had lost the dusty smell it once had and was now the typical smell you'd expect from seventeen year old boy's room. Alyssa didnt care however and offers him her hand.

"Come on"

"What? Where we going?"

"You'll see" 

Shaun does as she says and follows her to the outside of the house and into the sunny day, it was lovely outside, but the chill was biting and forced him to wear a coat. Alyssa however was stripping her outer layers into a simple black tank top, tying her hair up in a ponytail and facing him in the slightly tall knee length grass which had gone unattended since they started preparing for attacks or ambushes.