II

"Supersoldier?" Eliona yelled with her eyes wide open, "What do you mean supersoldier? I didn't ask for this — what about the classes the academy promises conscripts?"

"You'll receive your classes," said Zerakiel, "You mustn't worry."

"It's not like we were raised in the military," said Ren, "How do you plan to turn us into 'supersoldiers?'"

"I don't know all the details yet. Honestly, I never know what the grandmaster is planning, but she'll be taking the Lionhearts with elven blood as her pupils too.

"First, when I get the preparations done, we'll be finding your familiars. After you all make your contracts, the Lionhearts must engage in a house war this year against a house of your choosing."

"A house war, eh?" said Raiden with a smirk creeping across his cheeks, "You know what, that sounds like fun! I can't wait to be duking it out and coming out on top."

"You, on top?" Eliona cackled, "You couldn't even last two seconds against me. How are you gonna win against anyone else?"

"Come on, Eliona; you know I go easy on you."

"Right, as if I couldn't handle you at your best. That's okay. I'll spare you the embarrassment."

"No way," Raiden was at a loss of words. He was smiling, but his lips were parted in disbelief.

"Cat got your tongue?" she just kept biting him.

"You know what? Good night," he disappeared into his dorm, and it was clear who won their little exchange.

The following day, Roiru was wandering the halls of the academy. Every corner the Lionhearts turned, there were familiars lined along the walls of the classrooms and swords at the waist of prestigious students.

They saw cadets in the courtyards having duels with wooden swords through the open halls. It was purely a show of swordsmanship. It made sense why — affinities and elven magic could terraform an entire region when used in battle. They were shocked to find that some familiars could even fight alongside their master.

"Oi," said Ren, "We're gonna be late!" their first class was the only one all the Lionhearts could do together. Potion brewing and alchemy were the only things without racial limitations. They didn't require spiritual energy, just runes, circles, and a catalyst.

Barging into the classroom, all eyes were on the newbies. It was the first time the cadets had seen anyone new in months since their classes started, and their tardiness was excused for being new to the building. When they took their seats and the labs resumed, the Lionhearts were swarmed by the students' curiosity.

It quickly became apparent they were all part of one house, but the cadets wanted to know more — what was their race? What were their affinities? If they were half celestial, what did their wings look like? Most importantly, why were they so young?

The curiosity persisted throughout the day as they jumped from class to class. People couldn't help but notice how blind Roiru looked in one eye. They flocked to the girls about their heterochromatic eyes and elven ears — they were all over all but one, anyway. No one was brave enough to approach Eliona after fighting them all off for her personal space.

When she noticed the other girls' pale faces in the crowds, she realized she couldn't just leave them there to suffer. Eliona shoved everyone away for them, acknowledging the beauty and mystery of the Lionheart girls. They couldn't be more thankful for Eliona, antagonizing herself for the sake of their privacy.

Roiru and the Lionhearts couldn't wait to finally unwind in their common room, so it was to their dismay when they came home to their master waiting for their return.