5. Greatest Mistake

This was, in my opinion, the worst week of my life. 

The week where everything went downhill.

And it started with a promise.

I was once again with Carter. We were in his house, and we had an assortment of sweets surrounding us from Sweet Tooth.

“Careful, Gav. You’re gonna get a cavity.” Carter said.

“Oh please! Those aren’t real.” I said. Carter punched my shoulder lightly and laughed.

“You have some whipped cream and your- no not there.” I told Carter, who had some cream on his upper right lip. He stuck out his tongue to lick it off but wouldn’t listen to where I was directing him.

“Here, let me get it.” I said, grabbing his face and licking it right off it. 

“Eww, Gav.” He jokingly said.

“C’mon Carter. My tongue has been in other places on you before.” I said.

We quieted our laughter, just layed there thinking about everything.

“Summer is coming.” Carter said.

“Yeah.”

“What are you gonna do?” He said, propping himself up.

“What our family usually does. Go to Florida and visit everything! You?” I asked.

“The usual. Get a job and work to help my mom pay the bills.” He said. I was saddened by his words. No kid should have to slave away when they could be having fun.

“Why don’t you come with me!” I said.

“Really? Go to Florida with you and your family. Won’t they ask why you’re bringing me?” He asked.

“I’ll simply tell them you’re my boyfriend.” He gasped.

“R-Really? You’re willing to come out, for me?” He said, his eyes beginning to tear up.

“I was actually hoping I could come out beforehand.” I said, my nerves rising.

“Are you sure? That can be really scary, especially in a place like this.” He said.

“I’m absolutely sure!”

“I’ll do it with you!” He said excitedly.

“That’s amazing! And if they don’t accept us, we’ll run away and head west. I heard California is very accepting.” I said.

“That sounds… perfect!” He said, shooting his hands out and laying back gracefully.

“I’ll be right with you. Side-by-side. I’ll never leave your side.” I kissed him.

“When should we come out?” He asked me.

“Tomorrow! And if anyone hates us, they can kiss our ass!” I said, earning a giggle from Carter.

“What? Do you want me to just go up to you and kiss you?” Carter said.

“Actually, yes! That’ll be perfect!” I said.

I was adamant on coming out. I knew I needed to do it. If not for me, then for Carter. I wanted the world to know that Carter was mine, and that he was off limits. I didn’t care what people would think of me. 

“Okay Gavin. I’m gonna ask you one final time. Are you sure you want me to kiss you at school in front of everyone?” He looked deep into my eyes.

“Yes.”

“And you won’t push me away and yell at me?”

“I would never do that.”

“Then it’s settled. From here on, the two of us are now bound by the universe!” He said.