65 Heartbreaking Confession

TILLY decided to take a detour before going home.

She suddenly thought of visiting their coachman who just got out of hospital. Yes, the one that was driving the carriage when she was ambushed. Fortunately, the coachman was recovering well now. Thanks to Captain Denver's memory manipulation, his memory matched the statement that she gave about the accident.

As compensation, she paid the hospital bill. Also, she gave the family a huge amount of money for them to use while the coachman couldn't return to work yet. But she didn't want them to think that they could only offer compensation to them.

To other people, it was just a simple accident.

But she knew the truth. The coachman was hurt because she was ambushed. Naturally, she would feel guilty about it.

So here she was now at the coachman's house while having early dinner with the family. She brought a lot of meat. For their three children (all boys and aged five, seven, and nine), she brought sweets and pastries, as well as toys and clothes.

[I really like children.]

"Lady Prescott, thank you for looking after our family," Bert, the forty year old coachman, said with a smile. The coachman and his wife Carla insisted to send her off. "I'll return to work as soon as I can. I want to be of use to you and Sir Kiho again, my lady."

"Don't worry about it, Bert," Tilly said with a smile. "Just focus on your recovery."

"We don't deserve your kindness, Lady Prescott," Carla said, almost in tears. "Please allow us to serve your family forever."

"We are always grateful for your service," Tilly said to the old couple. "Kiho and I are lucky to have you in our family."

After bidding goodbye to the family, Damian escorted her to the carriage.

While walking, she could feel eyes on her. It was as if someone was watching her closely. Of course, she got afraid. But she didn't let it show.

[Did His Majesty already make his move?]

To be honest, she didn't expect that.

She thought the emperor was the "chill" type. Was it His Majesty's "style" to be this aggressive? For some reason, she couldn't believe it.

[It's also possible that someone else is after me.]

Damian, tell the coachman to use the long way back home," Tilly said to the young knight. "And as much as possible, avoid the route with less people."

Usually, their coachman would take a short cut so they could go home faster. But those short cuts were usually remote. But the long routes were safer because the roads were usually filled with people and other carriages.

If there were a lot of witnesses that the assailants couldn't simply kill, then the probability of being ambushed on her way home would be reduced.

Tilly turned to Damian. "And stay with me inside the carriage."

Damian bowed to her. "As you wish, my lady."

***

KIHO was relieved when he finished all his paper works a few minutes before the end of his working hours. He didn't have to work overtime and he could go home early Also, he had time to prepare for his date with Tilly.

[I can only think of one place where we can be alone but it's kind of dangerous.]

Well, he'd be with her wife anyway. He just had to make sure that his wife and their baby in her womb wouldn't get hurt in that place. Despite the risk, he was still excited to bring Tilly there because it was his "secret base" in the empire.