Part 2

"Absolutely NOT."

    "Why not?"

    "Is that even a question, Genevieve?"

    "Is there some reason it shouldn't be?"

    Genevieve had returned home just a few seconds ago, having received the antidote to the elixir's effects to return her back to her normal size. More than that, she had presented the revelation of her upcoming date with Elliot to her mother, who was not pleased.

    "He's a stranger, Genevieve. A human man we know nothing about."

    "I know about him, and he's kind, mom."

    "After one day? Spare me the theatrics, and don't be ridiculous."

    The volume of their conversation began to rise.

    "Is this because he's a human? Because for someone who seems so dedicated to us living our lives among them, I think it'd be hypocritical to prevent me spending time with one purely for that reason."

    "No, it's not because he's human. It's because he's a man that only you have met. How am I supposed to know he's not a - a serial killer?"

    "How about you start by trusting my judgment for once?"

    Celeste's head suddenly poked out of her doorway flap.

    "Mommy?"

    "Go back to bed, sweetie."

    "But you're yelling at her."

    Genevieve opened her mouth to reply to her little sister, before Ben casually strolled in, pushing Genevieve to the side to get a cup of water.

    "Do you MIND?"

    He ignored her.

    "Yeah, Celly. That's since mummy and Genevieve are arguing about her human boyfriend," he mocked.

    Celeste's eyes widened to the point where they were practically bugging out of her head, full of shock and awe.

    "A - A human boyfr–"

    "Benjamin, don't ENCOURAGE her. Sweetie, go to bed. Now."

    Celeste's head vanished from the door flap, although Genevieve could still see her shadow standing by the doorway to listen.

    "And he's not my boyfriend, you little–"

    "Genevieve, be nice to your brother."

    She fell silent to a snort from Ben, who shortly left the room. Her mother sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

    "Sweetheart..."

    "No, mom, listen to me."

    She did.

    "You want me to be – no, live with the humans? This is my way in."

    "You can't possibly be serious."

    "I am, mom. How many other humans have you seen me spend time with?"

    Her mother pursed her lips, still silent.

    "Exactly. Plus, I'm twenty-one. That's old enough to drink in the human world, which probably means that I'm also old enough to make potentially stupid decisions of my own volition. Which, conveniently, is also practically a rite of passage for them."

    Letting out a sigh, Genevieve's mother frowned. "You're not going to drop this, are you?"

    "No."