008 :: PROTECTIVE CUSTODY.

Start from the beginning

        JJ CAME BACK into the waiting room, to see Jennie still sitting there. She gave her a quick smile, sitting next to the teen, looking at her with worried eyes.

"They said they're taking Haley, Jack, and I into protective custody."

Jennie told the blonde, looking down at her hands, causing the woman to place a comforting hand on the girl's back.

"You should go in there." JJ encouraged the girl, referring to how she was yet to see her dad since he had woken up. The teen's eyes didn't meet hers, her voice soft.

"This never would've happened if I didn't go out last night." Jennie shook her head, "I-I could've been there. I could've— done something."

"There was nothing you could've done." The blonde reassured her, before pausing for a moment, sighing, "Honestly, if you hadn't gotten there at the time you did, there's a good chance Foyet may have done the same thing to you. Meaning you wouldn't have been able to help your dad...You saved his life, Jennie."

The teen finally looked up at her friend, giving her a soft, thankful smile, shrugging slightly, "He saved mine. More times than I can even count."

Jennifer smiled back at the girl, before motioning over to Aaron's room, "Go."

The girl let out a small breath, before finally getting up, and walking over to her father's room. When she entered, his eyes' immediately landed on his daughter, his gaze softening.

"Jennie."

"Hey," She gave him a small smile, going over to sit at the edge of the bed, next to her father.

"Honey, you look exhausted."

Jennie let out a small chuckle, "Thanks."

She knew that's not how he meant it, but she'd much rather laugh about it than explain how she hadn't slept all night, running off of more cups of coffee than she could keep track of.

"No, I— I'm sorry." He apologized, regretting his comment. He then apologized a second time, but this time, his tone indicated that he was apologizing for the incident with Foyet the night prior, "I'm so sorry, Jennie."

"It's okay. It's not your fault." She reassured him, before looking down at her nails. Before she had met Grayson, Jennie didn't know what her 'tell' was. But, soon after they began to hang out, the teen noticed how she'd often look downwards whenever she got nervous.

Aaron began to notice her tell as well, so when he saw her looking down at her hands, his concern grew, "Jennie— did he hurt you?"

"No, no. It's just—" Jennie reassured him.

He looked at her, awaiting for her to continue, his worry only increasing, "Jennie?"

When Jennie finally looked up at the man, he could see water building up in her eye, her voice shaking as she continued speaking,

"I don't want to live with Haley."

The man only remained silent, as Jennie continued, shaking her head.