Chapter Eight

A violent wind tore in from the bay and through the narrow street, rattling the shutters on the cottages. It blew my hair about my head and whipped the thin fabric of my overalls. The first rain drops, cold and fat, bit into my skin, waking me from my fog. My eyes widened in horror. I looked to Alder, expecting to see recrimination, but there was only pain.

He gasped. "Wyn!"

"Stay back!"

I dropped to my knees, dug my fingers into the hard, sandy soil. I felt a nail snap, but I pushed deeper. Something cracked, but I pushed deeper. Down into the ground, I funneled the power coursing through me. I sent the hurricane in my fingertips down into the dirt, flooding the lawn. It wasn't enough. I blinked against the rain, found Alder where he stood, trying to shield his mother from the buffeting wind.

Lightning struck and thunder followed right on top. I saw Alder's lips moving, but couldn't hear the words. With his free hand, he pulled the hagstone through the collar of his shirt. He wrapped his fingers around it and then his voice was in my head.

"I'm here," he said. "I'm with you." I nodded.

Panting, I called the magickal storm to me. I screamed and into me came the lightning and the rain, the heavy clouds and churning winds. Brackish water bubbled up from the earth, spilling into the cobbled streets. I closed my eyes and white light flashed against my lids, again and again, expanding until it filled my head, lit up my insides. I felt my heart shudder and then everything was silent. I collapsed.

I woke to the sound of shoes slapping against the pavement. I was cradled in someone's arms. With every step, our bodies rose and fell like a boat plunging up and down on a choppy sea. I tried to open my eyes but I could not.

I woke up a second time, my body submerged in warm water. Someone held my hand, someone else chanted softly. I tried to open my eyes but I could not. But I remembered. I remembered that I was the monster. Hot tears leaked from my eyes.

I woke a third time. There was a warm spot on my legs, and I opened my eyes to Una curled up there, watching me, blinking slowly. When she saw that I was truly awake, she slunk up my body, deftly avoiding all the parts that hurt. She ran her soft face against mine, licking my chin with her rough, pink tongue. Then she jumped from the bed. I watched her slip through a crack in the door, undoubtedly on her way to get Pim.

Not ready to face my auntie, I turned away and couldn't help but smile at Alder, asleep in an old rocking chair, one of Mary's hand knitted blankets draped over his body. His hand rested on the bed next to mine. We were in my room in the Tans' house. I was in bed, tucked under my yellow daisy quilt, where I'd spent the many nights that Pim and I had slept over here.

There was the bookshelf that held the stories Celeste had read to me and then I read to myself. Just outside the door was the kitchen where Pim, Mary, and I baked countless cakes and cookies. I would miss it all. When I left. I sniffled, closing my eyes against the threat of more tears.

The door creaked open and I faced Pim. Her eyes were glassy and that made mine spill over. "I'm sorry," I said, voice raspy.

"My sweet child." Pim sat on the edge of the bed, ran her hand down the side of my face. She reached for a glass of water on the night table, tipping it against my lips. I coughed.

"I'll leave tomorrow."

Pim frowned. "What's this nonsense?"

"I used the Goddess's Gift to harm an innocent," I said. "How can I stay in Saltash?"

Pim scoffed. "You were the only person hurt and Layla Flint is hardly innocent. Besides, she broke an oath she made eighteen years ago. She's lucky I wasn't there, too."