Chapter 5

When I walked into sixth period I noticed the only open seat was in between Josh and Mike. I hurried to the seat with a minute to spare. I quickly said hello to Mike and turned to Josh.

"Your hair is super cool," I said, complimenting him on his light blue hair.

"Thanks. The funny thing is, I did it to annoy my grandma but it's really starting to grow on me."

"It definitely fits you,"I replied just as the bell rang to signal the start of class.

    I tried my hardest to pay attention, especially since English was subject I actually really enjoyed, but it was quite difficult. I kept finding myself looking at Josh out of the corner of my eye. I think the teacher seemed to notice because he called out my name.

    "Ms. Carver, that is your name right?" I simply nodded in response. "Yes, well, I know that there many things that you'd rather focus on but right now you need to pay attention."

    I looked away, embarrassed my teacher had caught me. The rest of class went on pretty boring. About five minutes the teacher announced the new project we'd be working on, writing an essay about another student. He paired us up with the people around us. I had ended up with Josh, Mike smirked at me which just made me shake my head at him.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

    As soon as I exited my last class, I saw Autumn and Mike approach me.

"So, I hear you and Joshie are gonna be spending some alone time together," She winked.

"What? NO. We're just writing essay's about each other.  Gosh, don't be so weird Autumn. We're probably going to get it done is class any ways," I quickly told her.

"If that's what you'd like me to believe."

"What do you mean 'want you to believe'? There's nothing happening, Autumn. I've barely known him a day! Not only that, we've hardly spoken."

"Alright, Melinda. Tell yourself what you need to but Mike and I are rooting for you two. You're my OTP," She shouted as she walked away.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

    The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. Since we were about to go on winter break, Autumn invited me to her New Year's Eve party. I, of course, said I'd gladly attend. Thank god she is only really inviting band people because I haven't really met or connected with any one who wasn't in band.

    Josh and I finished are essays about each other. Much to Autumn's disappointment, we did not work on it outside of school but I did learn a lot about him. His favorite bands were Green Day and blink-182. He has played the drums since he was 10. His parents are divorced and he has no siblings. (A/N : I'm not sure if any of this is true but it works for my plot so we're going with it.)

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

    The first week of break was pretty boring since we didn't celebrate Christmas becuase we were atheist. However, things got  pretty heated the day of Autumn's party when my dad called telling me he wanted me to come live with him and his girlfriend in Vegas.