005 :: FROZEN YOGURT.

Start from the beginning

"Anything." He took his own spoon, and dug into the girl's cup. Before she could call him out, he continued speaking, "We've hung out all week, and I don't even think I know your last name yet."

"That sounds like something an axe murderer would want to know." Jennie told him, causing him to let out a chuckle, "Plus, I don't know yours either."

"Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine." He told her. Jennie shook her head, pointing her spoon at the man.

"You see— that? That's, like, hella axe murderer-y."

"The Reaper fits a profile we refer to as an Omnivore. Unlike most serial killers, an Omnivore doesn't target a specific victim type. Although, he tends to focus on his younger, female victims with his knife. He essentially is a predator who will kill anyone."

"Why is he so democratic?"

"Because his kills aren't just about his victims. He needs recognition. He needs us to know."

"The symbols, the placement of prior victims' possessions on subsequent victims, it's all for us."

"Why?"

"Power. The Shaunessy letter is the clearest example of this. He manipulated Tom Shaunessy into literally surrendering to him."

"SO, you got family around here, or something?" Grayson asked, throwing out both of their empty frozen yogurt cups.

"Uh, yeah. My stepmom and my dad divorced, and I stay at with my dad for the most part." Jennie told him.

"What about your birth mom?"

The teen had to stifle her laugh, shaking her head, "It's a long story."

He nodded, "I get that."

"You do?"

Grayson shrugged, "I guess so. My mom died and my dad left. I haven't been in contact with my dad for like— ten years."

Jennie stopped, looking at him, "Grayson— I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

He cracked a smile at her, motioning for her to keep walking, "Jennie, it's fine. It was a decade ago— I'm over it."

"I mean, don't you get like— sad and lonely?"

"Sad? Yeah. Lonely? Kinda, sorta. I mean, I live with my uncle now, so that's pretty okay. It doesn't really make it any better that he homeschools me. Kinda hard to make friends when you're home all the time, so— " Grayson told her, letting out a tsk.

Jennie looked down at her nails, feeling bad for the boy. After a moment, she spoke quietly, shrugging, "I can be your friend."

Grayson stopped in his tracks, and when Jennie saw his signature smile, she knew she had messed up.

"What was that?"

"Hm?" She pretended to be oblivious.

"Jennie, are you going soft on me?"

"Shut up."

"Oh, you so are."

"Shut up!"

"Garcia can't find George Foyet."

"I've got nothing, sir. He's gone. I mean, he's completely off the grid, and he's gone. Nine months after he was released from the hospital, he quit his job, sold his car, closed his bank accounts, cancelled his credit cards, cell phone, apartment, everything. He has no paper, thus has no trail, and I can't find him because he is gone."

IT was getting late, and the two decided to call it a day. Grayson had ended up walking Jennie to her car, as his was parked nearby.

"I had a fun day with you today, Jennie." He told her, as they walked to her vehicle.

"Don't get used to it. This is the last time I'm doing this with you." Jennie told him, unlocking her car.

"You said that last time."

"That was before you told me you'd buy me frozen yogurt."

The man chuckled softly, before tilting his head, questioning, "Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Like— close yourself off? You can't let yourself say what you're really feeling." He looked down at her, "What— do you not want yourself to feel good?"

"Of course I want myself to feel good." Jennie told him, crossing her arms, "Maybe I just don't like hanging out with you."

"Oh, I find that highly unlikely." He spoke, and the girl swore he had moved closer to her, as her back was against her car.

She hated it when he stared at her like that.

No— she hated the butterflies she'd get when he'd stare at her like that.

"Okay, fine. I—" A small smile formed on her lips, as blush crept up on her cheeks. She looked down at her hands, before back up at the man, "I had a fun time today too."

The sight of her finally not sharing her frustration with him made his heart warm, "See, there's that smile. Doesn't it feel nice to let it out for once?"

She laughed, shaking her head, "I'm leaving now. Goodnight, Grayson."

As she began to open her door, Grayson swallowed, before stopping her, just in time before she got in her car.

"You should go out with me."

The phrase had caught her slightly off-guard. She turned back to him, tilting her head, "Is that an statement or a question?"

He shrugged.

"Neither. It's me simply saying that I'll be at the park on third, on Friday, at 6pm— just in time for sunset. I'll have a picnic blanket on the floor, with some turkey sandwiches, and those fruit cups you love so much. I'll be wearing a button up, and those nice shoes I bought today."

He leaned closer to her, "It's your choice on whether you'd like to join me or not."

Jennie watched his sly smile never leaving his face, as he finally back away, and started walking to his car.

She really, really hated this man.

AUTHORS NOTE |

word count.
1326.