Twenty-One

Dustin showed us the way to the junkyard and I have to say it's probably the safest place to lure Dart in. There's no one around for miles and we can use the cars to trap it inside. And it's an open field with a few cars here and there but not enough for Dart to use as an escape route. Steve and I were dumping the last remaining meat from the bucket.

"Do you hear anything?" Steve whispered as I looked around the area.

I shook my head. "Nothing Demongorgon sounding but..." I began as I tilted my head. "I hear a bike. Lucas must be here."

Right on cue, we heard, "I said medium-well!"

Steve and I stood up as Lucas waved at us. My brows furrowed when I saw the familiar red-head. "Max?" I called out.

"Bela?" she called back. She walked over to me. "They dragged you into this, too?"

I nodded. "Yeah." I crossed my arms and looked at Lucas, but the question is still for Max. "And why exactly did Lucas bring you here for?"

"He wanted to show me this Demogorgon but I think it's shit. And thanks a lot."

I gave her a confused look when I noticed that small snap in her voice. "What for?"

"I don't know what happened between you and Billy, but he's been making my life even more of a living hell than before."

"And why do you assume something happened between me and Billy?"

"Because he came home and kept muttering something about you being a bitch." Oh, did he now?

"Wow, what an asshole," Dustin said before giving Lucas a look. "Lucas, can I talk to you? Alone?"

Lucas looked confused but went with Dustin behind one of the cars. Good. This gives me more time to talk to Max.

I sighed. "Listen, Max."

"You don't need to sugarcoat it. I know you and Billy slept together," she said before having this annoyed look on her face. "Since the idiot told me."

"I'm going to kill him," I muttered as Steve fake gagged. I shooed him away. "Can you go somewhere else?"

"Anywhere is better than hearing his," Steve said before giving me and Max some privacy.

I bit my lip before looking at the redhead. "Max, whatever Billy told you isn't going to happen again." I went toward the bus and decided to move some car door pieces around it to create some sort of barrier, which Max decided to help.

"Which part? You sleeping with him or him going to your house?"

"Both. If Billy wants to be a scumbag then I'm done with him. Any time I see something redeemable about him, he goes and screws it up with that mouth of his."

"Because that's how Billy is. He's been a pain in my ass since our parents got married but on random days, he hasn't been getting under my skin."

"Well, yeah, he's probably had one too many beers to care."

Max shook her head. "They're all whenever he sees you."

I scoffed. "Yeah, right. Billy doesn't care about anything or anyone besides he, himself, and abs." I jammed a door right into the ground. "And now he wants to be an even bigger bitch because he thought I slept with Steve."

"You mean the guy with the weird hair over?" she motioned to Steve, who grabbed a chair before heading over to Dustin and Lucas. "Yeah, he's definitely not your type." She let out an annoyed breath. "Billy, you fucking moron."

"My thoughts exactly."

"Well, I really can't stand him but...I think you should talk to him." She smirked at me. "It technically is your fault Billy's being an even bigger douchebag right now."