15. Love Situations

Start from the beginning

"I need to think," He whispered. "Plagg, claws out."

***

Marinette stares at the ring on her right hand, and though she doesn't notice, she was frowning. Ever since Luka had gifted this to her, something was off, but she didn't know what.

She didn't want to have doubt in herself or in her relationship. Luka is perfect! He's sweet and patient. He's gentle and kind. He wrote her a beautiful song and handmade a gorgeous ring for their two-month anniversary!

What else could she ask for?

"That's a really pretty ring," Tikki comments as she sits on her holder's leg.

"Isn't it?" Marinette whispers, still frowning. "It's so beautiful, and yet... something's wrong."

"What could be wrong?"

"I don't know..." The pig-tailed girl climbs up to her balcony and looks out across the city. Suddenly in this moment, she wants to be anywhere but home. "Tikki, spots on."

Ladybug throws her yo-yo and connects it to a building across the street. She jumps off and swings, throwing herself from building to building, and she runs.

She didn't know what she's running from. Her thoughts? Her feelings? Her heart? But she just keeps running.

Ladybug finds herself drawn to a certain place—her and Cat Noir's special spot—and she smiles when she sees her partner already there. "Fancy running into you here, Kitty," She greets as she stands beside him.

He looks up. There's a red rose in his hand. Had he been expecting her to show up? "Milady, you look beautiful as always."

"You flirt too much, Cat Noir," She simply says as she sits beside him. "So, what were you doing all alone out here?"

"I just wanted a quiet place to think."

"Oh, I can go if—"

Cat Noir shakes his head. "No, don't. I enjoy your company." He hands her the rose. "For you."

"Kitty..." Ladybug gently pushes his hand back. "I can't accept that. I have a boyfriend now."

"You do?!" He asks, shocked. I shouldn't be surprised, Milady's perfect. Any guy would be lucky to be with her. "Wow, I... I did not know that, so now I feel silly for bringing this."

"Isn't there another girl you can give this rose to?"  She asks.

"I..." Cat Noir sighs. "My girlfriend and I actually broke up a few weeks ago."

Ladybug's eyes widen. "Oh! I-I didn't even know you were dating someone... I'm sorry, Kitty."

"It's my fault. My heart wasn't really in it. It was... distracted," He admits, staring down at the now-wilting rose in his hand. "I hurt her, and I can never take that back, but I also can't lie about my feelings. I can't hide from the truth."

"And what truth is that, Cat Noir?"

"I'm in love with a girl who's in love with someone else."

Guilt eats at Ladybug's heart. "Cat Noir, I'm sorry—"

"No, it's not you, Bugaboo," Cat Noir cuts in. "Someone else, a good friend of mine."

"Oh..."

Cat Noir's shoulders sink forward. "Truth is... I was trying to hide from my feelings tonight. If I could move on from this girl, maybe it wouldn't hurt so much anymore. I was trying to convince myself and pretend that I was still in love with you, but that isn't fair to you or to myself."

"So that's what the rose is for."

"Yeah, surprise," He jokes. "Man, my love situation pretty much sucks right now, huh?"

"I have one of those, too," Ladybug admits.

He looks over. "Oh, trouble in paradise?"

"No, that's the thing. Nothing's wrong at all," She says, staring at her hand where her suit is concealing her gifted ring. "My boyfriend is perfect behind compare, in every imaginable way possible. He's sweet and kind, he waits on me. He's never jealous or rude. He doesn't hold anything against me. He makes me these awesome gifts and knows how important it is to remember an anniversary date."

"So..." Cat Noir shrugs. "What's the problem? That sounds perfect! Shouldn't you be happy?"

"I know, but..." Ladybug looks up at the sky, sighing. "Something's missing."