15. Love Situations

Two Weeks Later

After another session of fencing practice, Adrien waits for Kagami in the locker room. She walks out, carrying her duffel bag, and he jumps up and runs over. "Kagami! Can we... talk?"

She stops and looks at him, angry daggers shooting from her short-tempered eyes. "What do you want, Adrien?!"

"I... I want to apologize," He spits out, then clears his throat. "For how I acted and treated you when we were together, and after that, too. I know I hurt you and I'll never be able to forgive myself for that. I don't have any excuses, or at least acceptable ones. You deserve someone who's fully committed and clear-minded. I couldn't give that to you, but I hope one day someone can."

Kagami's expression doesn't change. She looks away for a moment before making eye contact again. "Thank you for your apology, Adrien, but it doesn't rid of the pain easily. I expect to heal from this for a very long time."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too."

"Can we still be friends?" Adrien asks.

Kagami turns her back to him. "I don't think so. Not soon, anyway. It... it pains me a lot to even look at you."

"I understand."

"I'm glad you do, Adrien. I'll see you at our next practice."

"Bye..."

Kagami walks out of the school and climbs into the backseat of her car. Her phone beeps and as she checks it, a tiny smile appears on her face.

It's a new text from Felix.

***

Adrien sits at his desk and stares at a picture of Ladybug from their last akuma battle. Alya had taken this one before the villain's power trapped her in a horror film.

"Wow, you haven't looked at her pictures in a while," Plagg comments from his holder's side. "Feeling nostalgic?"

"It isn't right for me to expect Marinette to love me back, especially since she's with Luka now," Adrien starts to stay. "So, I'm going to try getting over her."

"How?"

"I'll go back to loving Ladybug."

His kwami burst out laughing and falls forward on the desk, clutching his tiny stomach. "Get real, Adrien. Can't you be serious for once?"

Adrien frowned. "I am serious!"

"Kid, what makes you think that's a good idea?"

"Well..." He clicks to a different picture. Her eyes are closed tight from laughing so hard at a joke Cat Noir made. "Ladybug was my first love. Maybe this time I'll have a chance with her."

Plagg sighs. "I... I can't tell you how to feel, kid. I just hope you know what you're doing because I don't want to see you get hurt." Without anything else to say, the kwami flies off in search for more cheese.

Adrien goes through his photo gallery, and soon pictures of Ladybug turn into pictures of Marinette. He frowns and sighs, shutting off his computer.

This is harder than I thought. How can I just stop loving Marinette?

"I'd only be lying to myself if I pretended to love someone else just to move on from Marinette," He thought out loud to himself.

Adrien didn't expect his kwami to answer, but he said, "Just move on already! You can't have Ladybug and you can't have Marinette. You can either try and fix things with Kagami, move on, or sit around and mope and feel sorry for yourself! So, what are you doing to do, Adrien Agreste?"