11. Both Sides

Začít od začátku

"What is the meaning of this photo?!" Kagami shouted as she shoved her phone in his face. "I want to know what happened between you two!"

"Nothing happened!" Adrien defended. "It was just a friendly goodbye kiss. Everyone does it in Paris!"

"Are things really just 'friendly' between you and Marinette?!"

"What is that supposed to mean?" He asks.

Kagami's eyes glisten with fresh tears. She had never cried in front of Adrien before. "I see the way you look at her sometimes... and I wish you would look at me that way."

"You're my girlfriend, Kagami," He reminds her. "I'm dating you, not Marinette."

"Then why doesn't it feel like that?" She asks as she chokes out a sob. "Sometimes I feel like you don't even like me!"

"Of course I do!" Adrien goes to grab her hand, but she takes a step back. "Kagami, you're brave and confident and strong. You're beautiful and your determination inspires me. I love you!"

Kagami turns away from him. "And I..." She closes her eyes tight. "I feel your heart being shared with another."

"Kagami—"

"I need to be alone." She takes off running.

"No, Kagami!" Adrien runs to the end of the driveway and watches as she crosses the street and runs home. I really messed up now.

Shoulders slumped, Adrien goes back inside and up to his bedroom. He sits at his desk and turns on his computer monitor. He starts recording a video. "Hey, guys. It's Adrien Agreste. I thought I'd make this video to clear some things up..."

***

Marinette and Luka face each other on the dock.

"I'd like you to explain what happened with Adrien so I don't jump to my own conclusions," He says to her. "I don't want to believe what those news outlets are saying."

"None of it is true!" She promises. "It's just a big misunderstanding."

Luka nods. "Go on."

"Adrien and I took a train back together from London to Paris, and he didn't want me to take a cab home alone, so he offered to drive me. We were saying our goodbyes and it was just a friendly kiss! O-On the cheek. It didn't mean anything, I swear."

Luka stares out past Marinette at the sparkling water glistening under the sun.

"Those skeezy paparazzi followed us from London and they're just trying to make Adrien look bad."

"And... you didn't feel anything at all?" He asks. "When Adrien kissed you?"

I did, but I'm not going to tell my boyfriend that. "No, of course now."

Luka smiles. "Then everything's all good."

"Really?"

"It's not your fault those paparazzi followed you, and kissing on the cheek is a French tradition. It was completely innocent." He grabs her hand. "I understand, Marinette, and I'm not mad."

"So, you're not going to break up with me?"

"Of course not." Luka pulls her in and hugs her tight. "That's why we talk about these things, to avoid fights and confusion."

"Right..."

***

"That photo of me and my friend being shared was taken without our consent. Those paparazzi followed us from London and invaded our privacy. Nothing happened between me and Marinette Dupain-Cheng. It was a greeting kiss, a tradition that is well known throughout France. It's been taken out of context to make us look bad and I don't appreciate the media getting meddled in my personal relationships. That being said, I love my girlfriend, Kagami Tsurgi, and I hope this video will clear things up for good."

Kagami stares at her reflection in her phone screen. Adrien had just put out this video almost ten minutes ago and it already had over two million views and shares.

Everyone is Paris has forgiven Adrien and he's not labeled a 'cheater' and a 'backstabber' by his fans anymore.

She requests a video-chat from Adrien and he answers right away. "Kagami! I was just about to call you."

"I saw your video," She whispers, fighting back tears. "The gesture was sweet. I appreciate you for clearing things up."

"I told you nothing happened between me and Marinette."

If Kagami were with Adrien, she'd had smack the back of his head.

"Are things okay between us?"

"No."

Adrien stares blankly. "Kagami—"

"I will always be jealous when it comes to Marinette," She admits. "You can sit there and say things haven't happened or they never will, but you and I both know that it's not entirely truthful. I won't force myself to live through that."

"So, what are you saying?"

"You have to choose between us, Adrien."

His eyes widen. "W-What? I... I can't dk that. I love and care for you both."

"If Marinette is still around, we can't be in a relationship!" Kagami shouts. "Call me back when you have your answer."

Kagami hangs up and Adrien's left quiet. He can't believe she would even say that to him. How could she make him choose between them?

If things are like this between me and Kagami, I wonder how things are with Marinette and Luka.

Adrien grabs his phone and sends her a text.

To: Marinette
From: Adrien :)
5:56 PM
Have you heard the news?

To: Adrien :)
From: Marinette
5:56 PM
I did.

To: Marinette
From: Adrien :)
5:57 PM
How are things with Luka?

To: Adrien :)
From: Marinette
5:58 PM
I explained what happened and we're doing good.

Adrien frowns. They were able to talk things out peacefully, why couldn't he and Kagami?

To: Marinette
From: Adrien
5:59 PM
I'm happy to hear that.

To: Adrien :)
From: Marinette
6:00 PM
How are you and Kagami?

Adrien doesn't answer. Instead, he shuts off his phone and throws it across the room.