"Was Naeem Tayaa laid off because of the pandemic?" 

Anger unexpectedly pooled in Abu's usually calm eyes. He frowned, "No, he was humiliated, insulted and kicked out of that factory like a dog, after giving them almost 20 years of his life."

"Which factory?"

He pursed his lips, "Surgilab. They make surgical equipment. Have you heard of it?"

Omar

"I present to you your mystery texter..." Sehr presented to drum roll on video call. I vowed to pinch her the next time I saw her, pregnant or not, she was still the world's most irritating sibling. 

"Yaar get to the point, I have to get to work. Who is it?" I asked, stifling a yawn. 

"Shadab bhai. The snake himself. He changed his phone number recently, probably trying to hide from all the people who want him dead."

Cousin Shadab, the eldest son of Abu's eldest brother was the darkest moral stain on our not-so-morally clean family. My uncle had passed away a few years ago from a heart attack, since then Shadab bhai had taken over their family business of several sugar mills in Punjab. And when I say take over, I mean a hostile take over in which he made enough enemies for ten lifetimes. 

"How did you find out this was his number?"

"I had a hunch, and Saima's lawyer confirmed it. You know, she won the case against her brother."

"Of course, I know. I am not that out of touch with our family," I rolled my eyes, even though I had spent the better part of the last two weeks wishing that I could just walk away from all of them. 

Saima was Shadab bhai's younger sister who was just a couple of years older than us, and had all her inheritance usurped by her brother. She had promptly sued him for it. Thankfully, the court had sided with her. Saima and Sehr were best friends for a reason. Both were the kind of women who could hold their own even against the worst humanity had to offer.

The kind of women that Madi would have loved to hang out with, I thought bitterly. 

"Shadab must be pissed?" I asked to distract myself from the impossible situation I was in. 

"He sure is. And his income has taken quite a hit too. Sooo he needs a new source..." She raised her eyebrows, and looked into her camera as if she was expecting me to respond. 

Wait.

I sat up. It all made sense now. "He's trying to take over Abu's company. That's why he sent that text message. With Abu effectively sidelining me, he is free to manipulate Abu into making him a partner or something."

"Finally the man wakes up to smell the dirty family politics," she exclaimed. "So what are you going to do about it?"

"Nothing at all. I am done with all of them."

"Omar- "

"No, Sehr. I know we have to respect Ami and Abu, but you should have heard what they said about Madi and her family. It was disgusting. And they are not even willing to talk about it anymore."

She sighed. "Have you told Madi?"

Of course, I hadn't. The mere thought of what she would feel if she found out the truth sent shivers down my spine. I couldn't knowingly cause her pain. So, I concocted an excuse about the pandemic wreaking havoc in the factory, and Abu having to deal with one thing after another. It was a flimsy excuse, and deep down, I knew it. If she weren't consumed by her relentless inpatient-service responsibilities and her transition to the chief resident position, she would have seen right through the façade.