Chapter 18

~one week later~

Kevin laid back on the chair, put his feet up on the table and grinned at Gary. Gary was miffed by his lack of remorse and wanted to punch the smug look right off his face but he restrained himself. The interview room was small, it had a desk and three chairs. The third one was occupied by Vicky whose facial expression was nonchalant. Cameras were mounted on the wall and a tape recorder was on the desk. Vicky started recording and the interview began.

"What happened....?" Vicky started

"Your anger is directed towards the wrong person Gary. I'm just a business man with no personal ties to my clientele or goods" Gary gritted his teeth in frustration.

"Lisa, like all the other girls I took, was just a product I could package and sell to my overseas investors. She got out of line and had to be punished. Nothing personal." Kevin watched Gary's face, waiting for his reaction. It was all a big game to him and he was having the time of his life.

"What about Lucia? How come she survived? You spared her?" Kevin's face remained jovial. "Lucia never was on my radar but when I did get my hands on her I wanted to turn her into my little sexy star. But Marcus fucked up and look where I am now. You and I both made the same mistake. We trusted a bent cop and now we are both hurting in a way. Sucks doesn't it?" Gary had heard enough. "This isn't a game Kevin. I want to know what you did to her and the other girls. Tell me where they are you sick fuck"

"Easy now. I'll tell you, after all its game over for me isn't it? With Samuel's testimony and Logan's plea deal not forgetting your star witness Lucia at your disposal, your case is water tight. Even if I denied any involvement I wouldn't stand a chance in court so might as well do the right thing and come clean. Say thank you Kevin."

Vicky and Gary were unimpressed by his charade. "Alright fine. Suit yourselves." Kevin took his feet off the table and sat upright. His smile disappeared, he was ready to clear the mystery. "I was born in Kensington. Only child. My dad was a pastor, beloved by the community and my role model. He was the epiphany of holy, everyone looked up to him and my mother was besotted by his dedication to her and their marriage. He was perfect in every sense of the word, it almost seemed too good to be true. Whilst people were getting divorced and men leaving their children to pursue youthful passions my parents' relationship flourished. It really was perfect. One day a police officer came to our house, I was eleven years old at the time, he said my dad had been murdered. My mother broke into tears and I cried with her. How? What happened? She asked. The officer hesitated but eventually came out with it. He'd been stabbed to death by the boyfriend of a girl he raped six months earlier. I couldn't believe it. My mother refused to believe it. There was no way a renowned pastor would do that. But the investigation yielded irrefutable proof that he had done it. A thorough search of his computer, the one mum and I were forbidden from using, revealed that he had a taste for X-rated movies especially those involving little girls. There were hundreds of movies in his computer and most of them were BDSM. We were stunned. My trust in him was shattered. My mother fell into a depression made worse by the fact that the Kensington community shunned us. They treated us like outcasts. It was as if we'd been accomplices in the crime. We moved to Sunnyside and that's when I got thinking. If a man of the cloth could yield to such a temptation what chance did we, mere mortals, stand? No chance at all. I thought about the money and time he spent watching people fuck. I mulled over it day and night and wondered how many men were like him? Craving a release, over and over again. I believed they were plenty and even more willing to pay their hard earned cash to get some. When I turned eighteen I decided to do a little test, see if anything came off it. Long story short my thesis was correct. School is great and all but in order to make real money you gotta get your hands dirty. If you want to enjoy life's luxuries you've to forget about the straight and narrow and go rogue. Kill your conscience and let the big bucks roll in. I recruited a few people, expanded and established my real estate company as a front. Logan was useful to me because he kept me in the loop about how the investigations were going so you could never outsmart or surprise me. He was a diligent worker and earned his due but when he found out I'd taken Lisa he was surprised and frustrated. Your friendship confused him and for a moment he wanted to turn me in. But every man has his price and his was three quarters of a million dollars."