Chapter 15

"Kensington is more forest than it is a town. Didn't you get scared hunting deer by yourself in these woods?" Eighteen year old Francisca asked her dad. She'd started going on hunting trips with her dad from the age of thirteen. By the time she was sixteen she knew how to use a rifle and caught plenty of rabbits. Her mother's favorite. "Scared? Now isn't the time to start making up words France. You see anything?" Francisca laughed, she loved her dad to bits. Ever since she was young she'd always preferred spending time with him, being out and about, getting her hands dirty. She detested doing conventional chores, cooking, cleaning and the likes preferring to go hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. Her mother was saddened by it, her sadness a result of the jealousy of the strong bond between father and daughter but as the years went by the jealousy wilted and was replaced by joy. Their bond made the family stronger and kept Francisca out of trouble. "I've never been to this part of this forest actually. I figured we'd try something new today but it's not paying off from where I'm standing." Francisca wandered off, rifle in hand trying to suss out wildlife. A deer, rabbit anything so they wouldn't go home empty handed. She walked seven meters from where her father was and spotted a small washed-out cabin. Her dad followed her and noted the cabin as well. "Doesn't look like anyone has lived here for years." Francisca stared at it in awe, she felt drawn to it. "I'm going to get a closer look"

"Hold on tiger, could be someone's property. Looks like there's a lock on the door."

"I'm just going to get a closer look. I won't touch anything. I promise." And she ran toward it. The cabin was old but the lock looked new. Weird. She fidgeted with it. "That's enough. Let's head back. Bacon and eggs for breakfast today I don't wanna be late for that." Francisca yielded. What was in the cabin? A minute later her question was answered by a blood curdling scream from inside the cabin. They gazed at each other, eyes wide open. They heard the scream again a second time, louder than before. "Ahhhh!!! Somebody help me. Pleaseeeee!!!!"

Francisca's dad aimed the rifle at the lock and fired. The lock didn't stand a chance.

Marcus had been gone for hours, much longer than his usual routine and it frightened her. A part of her was relieved because it meant she got to live another day. A little hope resided in her heart, hope that someone would find her and rescue her. Her throat was dry and her hands hurt from being in one position too long. She tried moving them but all she managed to do was further hurt her wrists which were riddled with blisters. Her eyes were swollen from all the crying. If Marcus didn't show up soon she'd die from dehydration and if he did come he'd kill her. She drifted in and out of consciousness but a sharp pain brought her back to reality. She screamed although she knew there was no one for miles to hear her. She heard a shot and the door burst opened. A voice much softer and more urgent than that of Marcus was yelling at her. "Wake up! We need to get out of here" the voice was faint, Talia didn't register what the figure in front of her was saying. Was the person even real or she was just dreaming? Francisca shook her again, "Wake up! Please" The pain kept Talia awake for a while but it subsided and she closed her eyes, she was imagining everything. "She's out of it dad." Talia jolted, the pain was back again. Francisca's eyes scanned the room trying to find something she could use to cut the ropes. She was aware that time wasn't on their side. Her dad caught sight of the knife and passed it to her whilst he dialed the police. Francisca cut the ropes on Talia's arms and feet. Talia felt a pair of strong arms go under her head to help her up, at that moment she realized everything unfolding wasn't a dream. Someone was rescuing her. Her arms and legs were free, she wiggled her legs and with the help of Francisca and her dad managed to get off the bed. Each arm was on the shoulders of France and her dad and they helped her walk. She groaned when she felt the sharp pain returning. They moved five steps towards the door and her water broke. Francisca panicked, she wasn't prepared for this. The pain was becoming frequent and increasing in its intensity. Help was minutes away. "We have to get her on the bed. She can't walk in this condition." Francisca took charge of the situation although she was scared out of her mind. "We need to call someone, now." Her dad dialed 118 again and narrated the situation. The baby was on its way and there was no stopping it. France grabbed the pillow which was on the far side of the bed and placed it behind Talia's back to make her more comfortable. Talia felt the pain in her lower back, it was torture. An ambulance was on its way but until then she'd have to play midwife. Talia was screaming the place down, she couldn't wait any longer. "The baby is coming. The baby is commiiingg!!!!!" Francisca removed her jacket and placed it on the bed between Talia's legs, at the moment it was the cleanest thing in the room. There was nothing Francisca could do except wait. What if she died whilst giving birth? What if the baby died? Her mind was flooded with horrendous possibilities and she shivered with fear. She swallowed all her fear and knelt between Talia's legs ready to catch the baby. "Push!" Talia didn't need to be told twice, she could feel the baby moving wanting to get out and she had to help him. With the little strength she had she pushed. Francisca peered between her legs and saw what looked like a head coming out. "You're doing it! I see the head" she grinned from ear to ear. Talia pushed again, Francisca cupped the baby's head with her hands and guided the baby out. Francisca held the baby close to her chest. She grabbed the jacket from the bed used it to dry the baby and wrapped it around him. Talia collapsed. Francisca stared at the baby with worry, something wasn't right. "Why isn't he moving? Is he..." she choked, she held the baby closer to her chest using the inside of the jacket to dry his head and face. Ten seconds passed, and still nothing. Francisca's efforts had been in vain, the baby was dead.

"She is unconscious but alive. The paramedics should be here any minute." Francisca held the baby close to her chest, she couldn't hear anything her father was saying. She saw a tear on the jacket, she hadn't realized she was crying. Out of the blue came a sneeze. Just one sneeze. Francisca and her dad cast a look at each other and then the baby. He was wiggling his little arms. "He's alive!!!!" Francisca cried with joy. She kept the baby close to her chest to provide it with warmth. Five minutes later three police officers and two paramedics walked in. Her dad did the tedious job of providing them with directions through the phone since they were deep in the Kensington forest. The policemen introduced themselves whilst the paramedics helped Talia and the baby out of the cabin and into the ambulance which was parked way out of the forest. The officers secured the scene and called for back-up. Talia's abductor was still at large and chances were he'd be looking for her or attempting to make a run for it so they had to be on the lookout.