Chapter 14

Logan felt his heart rate return to normal as he pulled up at the Sunnyside hospital. He and Gary had been friends for years and he knew he would be amongst the last people he expected as being involved in something shady. Logan wasn't proud of the life he'd chosen but it gave him a high he couldn't attain from being a normal everyday good cop. The money Kevin paid him to turn a blind eye was thrice his annual income. And it was given to him weekly. Greed was one of Logan's fatal flaws made worse by a wife who demanded expensive trinkets and didn't have the sense to save up for a rainy day. But the money wasn't the only allurement, the women he got to meet were the real jackpot. Nancy was a beautiful girl with a gorgeous body but getting into her pants was harder than squeezing water out of a stone. And she was his wife. Only when he bought expensive gifts for her did she dare give him something as miniscule as a hand job. He didn't understand why she deprived him but he no longer cared because his needs were being met elsewhere. It was only a matter of time before he showed her the door and he couldn't wait for the day.

Vicky was waiting for him in the lobby and she had an animated expression on her face. "Finally. Gary said he'll be here in an hour but in the meantime I've great news. Come with me" Logan followed Vicky as she led him to ward 24, "Lucia is alive." The relief and joy in her voice was intoxicating. Vicky took the seat next to her bedside and left Logan standing at the door like a statue. Finding Lucia was the biggest break they'd gotten since the kidnappings began and that was bad news on Logan's part. Vicky noticed Logan's sullen expression, it was at odds with what she was expecting. He didn't congratulate her on finding Lucia, didn't ask how she was found, where, who'd attacked her and why? He just stood there frozen on the spot. It was as if his whole body had shut down. "Captain? Are you okay?" Logan was silent for a heartbeat and said yes. His mind worked overtime to find a clever answer to explain away his odd behavior. "To think someone who'd do this to a little girl is heartbreaking" Vicky nodded, she held Lucia's hand and squeezed gently "But she'll be okay now. I'll make sure of that. The doctor says she is making a pretty good recovery. She is a strong girl." Vicky's doubts about Cecelia lingered in her mind, she had to see her at some point. Tell her the gist of Maria's confession and that her daughter was alive. She had to get both sides of the story before drawing any conclusions. "I've to follow-up on some leads regarding the Lisa Thompson case. Take care" and he left.

***

Logan was sweating bullets as he drove to Kevin Perez's house. He didn't know what the witness told Gary but he guessed it was damning for her to have felt the need to come clean Matt called him twice that morning, first to warn him about the witness and second to tell him Gary had gotten to her first. He was a handy boy that Matt. Knew what to do at the right time, for the right price of course. Logan rehearsed the story he'd tell Gary if he had an inkling of his involvement. Their friendship would cement the story in Gary's mind and Gary would be none the wiser. But he needed a scapegoat just to be safe, when he had a lead to follow Gary was a dog with a bone. He never stopped until he got to the truth.

Maria opened the door to Lorenzo and a frown formed on her face. The way he gawked at her each and every time she was in his presence made her want to smack him in the head. She was wearing a red nightie which stopped just above her knees. Her hair was tied into a messy bun and on her neck was a tattoo, initials of a name, M.D. "It's inappropriate to lust after another man's wife Logan" Kevin hugged Maria from behind and kissed her on the neck. A soft moan escaped from her lips, she closed her eyes and savored the feel of Kevin's touch. Lorenzo's face turned red "Can I come in? We need to talk." Kevin smiled at Lorenzo's discomfort and beckoned him to come in. Maria disappeared into the kitchen to make tea. "What's so important that you had to come here so early in the morning?" Lorenzo took a deep breath, "Gary knows there's a mole in the SSPD" Kevin's facial expression remained nonchalant "That's your problem not mine Logan. How did he find out? Does he know it's you?" Maria joined them. A silver tray in her hands with three mugs, sugar, milk and a teapot. "What's wrong Logan? You seem depressed." She sat next to Kevin and poured herself a cup. "If I go down you go down with me Kevin so you've to help me." Kevin chuckled, Maria joined in and before long Logan felt as if he was naked in public. It was an empty threat and he knew it. "You didn't answer me Logan. Does he know it's you?" Logan shook his head, shy all of a sudden. "So why are you stressed? Drink some tea and relax Logan." Logan grit his teeth in frustration. "You don't know Gary the way I do. If he finds out it's me it's only a matter of time before he makes the connection." Kevin straightened up and his smile disappeared. "How? You gonna tell him?" Logan swallowed, the room had gotten a lot smaller. "N...n...no but Lucia will because she is alive. She at the Sunnyside hospital as we speak" That got Kevin's attention. "You didn't think to tell me that the moment you got here?" He thundered. It dawned on him, he hadn't heard from Marcus since yesterday. He'd tried calling him a couple of times but his phone went straight to voicemail, it was unusual behavior but he'd shrugged it off. Now he understood why. Marcus had messed up big time.