Chapter 16

Vicky mulled over Logan's behavior long after he'd gone. Why was he so surprised to see Lucia? The way he was freaked out by her presence was odd. She'd expected him to smile or at the very least ask what happened to her but none of that came. His explanation was flimsy and she found it unbelievable. A new thought entered her mind. A possibility she hadn't considered before because it seemed too farfetched. What if Logan was the mole? She could mull over it all day but she knew sometimes the best way to get an answer was to ask. She left the ward and made the call.

Matthew sat on his living room sofa, pen in hand and a notepad on the desk. The muzzle of a gun was pressed in his right ear and the safety was off. One false move and it was game over for him. He never guessed that two phone calls to Logan would result in him sitting in his house ready to commit suicide. According to Logan. "You don't have to do this Logan" Matt pleaded. "I have to Matt, it's the only way. You've to be the sacrificial lamb. Now put pen to paper and write the suicide note. Make it nice and heartbreaking. We wouldn't want anyone sniffing around now would we?"

As soon as Kevin refused to help Logan deal with his dilemma the clock started ticking. He had to do something and fast. He didn't want to and couldn't be discovered, he had too much to lose. The career he'd spent years building would vanish in an instant. He'd be dishonored. His whole family and friends would forsake him. Nancy would slap him with a divorce and would take everything he ever owned. He'd be reduced to a has-been detective who got too greedy for his own good. When he was living the fast life all those thoughts never once entered his mind but he'd gotten a rude awakening and he wasn't about to let his secret be made public not while he had anything to do about it.

"I can't...this isn't right. My wife, my kid. What will they think of me?" Matt cried, his body shook with fear. Logan chuckled "You should've thought about that before you accepted Kevin's money." Matt was a measly sergeant looking to work his way to the top. He was 29 years old had a nice wife and cute kid. Money was tight and expenses were plenty. They lived in a three-roomed apartment with noisy neighbors, his kid was five years old ready to start kindergarten and that too cost money. The rent, the food, the clothing, it was all too much for him and his pay didn't stand a chance. He never meant to hurt anyone, all he wanted was quick cash. Take the money Matt and look the other way. How he wished he'd resisted. "I'm running out of patience. Start writing. Now!!!" Logan was on edge, he'd never be still until he saw his plan to fruition and the mole forgotten. Matt started witting, he'd written two short sentences when Logan's phone rang interrupting his train of thought. Logan kept the gun firmly pressed in his ear, took the phone out of his pocket and answered it. "You left so soon I didn't get a chance to ask you about your new lead. In case Gary comes, I'm sure he'd love to know." The response was quick and it made her raise an eyebrow "What lead?"

"The Lisa Thompson case. You said you got a new lead" Logan cursed under his breath, Vicky was unto him. "Oh....yes yes yes. I'm preoccupied right now." The hesitation and nervousness in his tone was hard to miss. Vicky knew right then that Logan was up to something but what? Logan was sweating bullets, he was tense and he wanted to be rid of Vicky so he could carry on with his plan but he couldn't think of a good way to wad her off without raising her suspicions. He mind worked non-stop to create a fable to feed her and for a moment he was distracted. Matt, whose survival instincts were on high alert saw an opening and jammed the pen in the back of Logan's thigh. Logan dropped the phone on the sofa and winced with pain. Matt lunged at him and threw him to the ground. Logan was still holding the gun but he couldn't fire it. Matt tried to wrestle the gun out of Logan's hand but before either of them knew it the gun went off. "Don't let me die Logan. Please!" Logan chuckled, feeling a little lighter than before. "I told you Matt. Both of us can't go down. One has to take the fall. It's a shame it had to be you."

Logan cleaned up the scene and did the best he could to make it look convincing. Would've been better if Matt had been compliant from the start and Vicky hadn't interrupted them but the deed was done. It wasn't too shabby, it was believable and that's all that mattered.

***

Gary showed up at the hospital ten minutes earlier than the anticipated time. His eyes were sunken and he appeared ten years older. He was so out of it he didn't notice the girl on the hospital bed. "I found Lucia" Vicky smiled a bit before a frown appeared on her face. "Are you okay?" it was a stupid question to ask but she had to. "No and no one can help me." Having suffered a major loss herself she understood what he was going through. "Have you told Cecelia yet?" Vicky shook her head. "I wish I knew who the mole was so I can rip his head off. Son of a bitch!!!" Vicky cast her eyes on the floor not knowing how to break the bad news to Gary. She was glad she'd been shrewd enough to start recording the conversation the moment Logan screamed. A part of her wanted to ask if he was okay and call for back up or do something at least. But something about the whole setup was fishy and now she knew why. "There's something I need you to hear."