She was overwhelmed with questions. Her left brain always kicking in at moments she wished it'd stay stagnant. Oh, how she wished she could live in the bliss of oblivion, maybe then she wouldn't be in this mess. Any of them.

Daisy rubbed her eyes, letting out a frustrated groan before forcing herself out of the car. Why she chose this approach was beyond her. But it sounded so easy an hour ago. She couldn't believe she was this mortified to go see him. She couldn't believe she brought pepper spray to go see him, and that she felt it wasn't going to be enough.

Walking inside the familiar lobby, she nodded to the concierge  who recognized her from when she checked in.

Part of her wondered if Kai'd even be there, or if he'd already packed up and left for San Diego- that would surely ease her nerves, but the purpose of this entire interaction would've gotten on that flight with him.

She knew he was here the second the elevator started taking her to the fourth floor. It was like her heart skipped a beat- but so much different- like her heart was alerting her that they were near again. Whether it was a warning, or a simple acknowledgment, she couldn't tell. But she knew he felt it too. No turning back now.

And then she found herself in front of his hotel door. And she just had to keep reminding herself why she was there. Get in and get out. But her hands were trembling, petrified of whoever stood behind that door— she had no idea who he was anymore, she had no idea what to expect.

The door had opened before she even has a chance to knock, and Kai stood in the doorway. He wasn't shocked to see her there, obviously- he knew she was coming. Though he looked almost breathless. His eyes were glued on hers with a tinge of desperation, that only she would be able to pick up beneath all that darkness.

And she just looked back up at him, too nervous to move- to say anything. For a split second, she felt the urge to just carry things on as normal. To leave a quick kiss on his lips and slip inside, to talk about their days and—

"What are you doing here?" Kai asks.

The question itself was usually something Daisy would find rude, but his eyes were full of a genuine confusion- almost worry.

She swallowed, for the first time she looked away from his eyes and past him- into the hotel room that was hers too only a few days ago.

"Can I come in?" She asks, glancing up at him again.

Kai just watched her for a few seconds before speaking again. Daisy was only a foot away and could smell the alcohol on him. It was so pungent she wouldn't be surprised if he'd just dumped an entire bottle of straight vodka on himself.

Kai nodded, opening the door further. Daisy took a breath before stepping past him and into the room. He lingered in the doorway, watching her as she walked past him, before shutting the door.

Daisy eyed the three empty bottles of liquor that sat atop the mini fridge, and then the half empty one that sat next to the half empty glass on the bedside table. She clenched her jaw, before turning back around to face him.

"Daisy—" He let out. It was like she was staring at a completely different person, this was not the man who came into Josette's apartment the other day, who mocked her without a hint of guilt or regret in his eyes.