"Yeah or that."

You glance at Jerry who looks at you two with an unsure expression.

"Let's search all the rooms for him and make sure that everything's secured. We have to keep everyone safe.", you say to Alec.

"Okay, let's split up. The event starts in fifteen minutes. Let's be quick."

You two leave the room and make your way. You go to the west side of the building and Alec to the east side. You look for this guy in every single room. The cast is already behind the stage, so you find Lizzie's room empty. Just her faint scent still lingers in the air and reminds you of the conversation you had earlier. You shake your head. Now is not the time. You continue your search and go the bathrooms, but he's nowhere to be found.

You make your way to the hall, where the main event takes place. The audience is full of people. You jump on the stage to get a better look, trying to find the strange man in this big crowd. Alec waves to you from the other side and motions for you to meet him behind the stage.

"Did you find him?", he asks.

"No. It's like he just disappeared."

"Damnit.", he curses. "Where could he be?"

You shrug and let your eyes wander until they land on three persons, who are all too familiar to you.
Lizzie glances at you and turns to say something to Florence and Scarlett, who raise their head to look at you for a second before they turn back and fall in a conversation.

Very subtle.

"What shall we do now?", Alec asks.

"We can't really do anything. We have no proof that a shooting might take place, so we just have to keep an eye on everything.", you respond without looking at him.

Your eyes are glued to one person. One person, you'd do absolutely everything for to make sure she's safe. And right now you just want to bring her out of this building, far away from a possible sniper.

"Y/n, hey you're here too!", you suddenly hear a voice and your heart clenches at the sound.

"Not you too.", you mutter under her breath. You completely forgot that Hailee was supposed to be here too.

"Hailee!", you greet her with a smile.

She pulls you into a hug and squeezes you tightly.

"Oh no, what did I do?", Hailee questions.

"What do you mean?", you ask her confused.

"Ms. Olsen there seems to have a problem with me. She stares at me like she wants to throw me into the wall behind me. I'm just glad that she doesn't have these powers in real life."

You take a quick glance behind you but Lizzie doesn't look your way anymore.

"I don't know what's up with her. But Hailee, you need to do me favor.", you say.

"Anything for you.", she flashes you a big smile.

"If you see someone with a violin case or just someone who acts strange, like he doesn't belong to this event, you need to find me and tell me as soon as possible, okay?"

"Uhm sure, is everything okay?", she wants to know.

"Yeah, I'm probably just overreacting. But uhm I want to make sure that you are all safe.", you explain dumbly.

"Okay. But –"

"And today we have all the Avengers in the house! Please welcome for me Robert Downey Jr.!", someone announces the start of the event.

"Shit, I have to go. See you later?", Hailee asks.

"See you later.", you confirm.

You take your place on the right side of the stage and supervise everything. Alec, who stands on the other side gives you a nod. You let your gaze wander over the many faces and see the other bodyguards and security guards in their places. Everything's good. Everyone is safe. But why can't you shake this feeling like something bad is about to happen?

The organizer of the convention announces each of the actors and actresses and they walk on stage with big smiles and sparkling eyes. When it's Lizzie's turn, you watch how she walks up to her place with big confident steps, waving to the crowd. But as soon as she reaches her place, she holds onto Paul like she's about to faint any minute. You catch her looking at you too and flash her a reassuring smile, which she seems to be grateful for. A little moment where both of you seemed to have forgotten the earlier conversation.

But you have to talk to her again at some point. Or not. Actually everything was said from your side. It's her turn to reach out to you, if she has to say something.

The next thirty minutes are filled with questions the fans want to ask their favorite actors. Excitedness and joy waver in the atmosphere. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves. You didn't really pay attention to the questions and answers, but you can sense that everybody is in a good mood. Which is rare for those events. There's always someone who just seems to never have learned to be respectful.

You let your eyes wander above the crowd and the pent-up tension relieves a little bit more with every minute that passes by. Nothing bad is going to happen. You are not in Afghanistan, where you can find someone who wants to kill you around every corner.

"Okay guys, let's have a fifteen minute break! See you in a minute!", the organizer speaks up and winks.

The cast gets up from their seats and starts to make their way back behind the stage.
Out of the corner of your eye you suddenly realize a small red light. You look up to the tribune that faces the stage and is supposed to be empty. And there it is again. This barely seeable red shimmer. But you know what it is. Too often were you the one behind it.

Panic creeps up in your body. You look to the stage, trying to find out who he is aiming at. Your chest tightens as you can see the red laser point at Lizzie's chest.

Your body reacts before your mind does.

This time you won't be too late to protect the one you love.

This time you are faster than the attacker.

This time you'll make up for the mistake, you made with Casey.

You jolt forwards. Catching a glimpse of Alec, you see the realization that fills his eyes. The panic that follows right after. But you don't pay any attention to that.

"Lizzie!", you scream and her confused gaze meets your panicked one.

You jump and put your body in front of hers. Shielding her from any possible harm.

You hear the shot before you feel it. Fear and confusion settle in the hall. Suddenly people begin to scream and to move. Pushing each other to get out of this situation. But all of their cries sound muffled. As if someone put a blanket above everything to suffocate the hurt that radiates in the atmosphere.

You collapse into Lizzie's body. Her eyes filled with a terrified expression.

She catches you and lays you gently on the ground.

"Stay down, stay down.", you try to get out with a croaky voice.

"Shh, shh. Try to save your strength.", she soothes you as tears begin to fill her eyes.

"Tell Alec, he's on the tribune, he's-", a cough shakes your body and leaves your mouth bloodied.

"Y/n, please stop talking. You're going to be okay, okay? Just save your strength.", Lizzie chokes out.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?", you ask ignoring her request. All that matters is that she's safe.

"I'm okay. He didn't hit me, but you-"

"Okay.", you say and lay your head back to the ground. Relief washes through your body.

"Hold on, y/n. Please. Don't close your eyes. Can you do that for me?"

Lizzie presses her hands on your stomach. Dark red blood seeps through her fingers as she tries to stop the bleeding. She looks at you with teary pleading eyes as your vision gets more and more darker and blurry. The pressure on your stomach becomes stronger, as she tries to do everything to prevent the life draining out of your body.

Her cries seem to be the only sounds that fill this ghostly silence that took up the whole room. Her body shakes, tears stream down her cheeks, dropping down and burning where they touch your skin.

Your eyes become heavier with every blink and it gets harder and harder to stay awake.

"Thank you..", your voice is barely above a whisper, as you reach up to cup her cheek. "Thank you for letting me save you."

"No, no, no, please.", Lizzie sobs.

Her face becomes blurry but wherever you may go now, you've already seen an angel on earth and that's enough for you. A weak smile is drawn on your face.

You close your eyes, but don't open them again. Your hand falls off her cheek and lands beside your lifeless body.

"I love you too."