Noah, folded over the deployed airbag now deflated on his steering wheel, his face a mess of blood. The windshield completely broken, the car resting against a tree. A face at my door with this gleeful grin.

I knew I should feel panicked, should be scared, but instead all I felt was this strange disconnect. Then the world resumed its spinning and I felt blessed darkness suck me under. I should fight, I knew, deep in the back of my mind that I had to do something. Resist. But I was so tired, so dizzy.

*

I woke to the sound of voices, the sound of waves lapping against the shore. My body was so heavy that I couldn't move, couldn't get my eyes to open. My skull was pounding a heavy beat and each thump was a spike through my temple.

Where was I? What was going on? What had happened? Was Matt okay? The bomb! My disjointed brain conjured images of the bomb going off. Was that why I was hurting? Why I couldn't think? Had the bomb gone off and had I been hit?

My brain flashed me an image of Noah, lying bloody across the car's steering column. That wasn't right, the car... We'd been on our way to the McLaren's. Matt was going for the bomb but the bomb wasn't with us was it?

Everything went topsy-turvy, my head wildly spinning. Like water sloshing in my skull. I felt hands on my body, someone picking me up but I couldn't get my body to move, to obey. I was weirdly numb, they were picking me up but I couldn't even tell where exactly they were touching me. That caused panic, I could feel my heart pounding in response but I still couldn't move.

Then I was laid down again, I couldn't tell on what, not with my eyes closed. Then there was the sound of an engine, rocking motion; a boat then. That was bad, I knew that was bad. My brain was finally waking up enough to start to make sense of things. I wasn't hurt by a bomb, something had hit the car and we'd all passed out. The car had crashed.

That meant... I didn't want to think it but it had to be true. The Corenths had me. This was their boat and they were using it to get me to their ship, probably somewhere off the coast. They figured they'd be faster with the engine than taking breathing stops if they swam with me. Why else would they do it like this? Or did they think I would wake up from the water? Would try to escape?

My heart was still racing, my breathing coming faster than it should and I forced myself to calm down. If they realized I was awake they might tie me up. Right now I was just tossed onto the bottom of the boat like a sack of potatoes. I couldn't tell how many of them were around me.

Were the others alright? Had they taken them too? Probably not, they only wanted me so I had no allies on this boat. I flashed back to the image of Noah's bloody face and hoped fervently that he was alright, that Orly and Mariana were unharmed.

There was a shuffling noise and some movement above me and then I heard Gavin and Clay talking. "Do you think dad and grandpa are back yet?" "Maybe we should call them, make sure we're good to get out of here the moment we get her aboard the Berylia."

Oh, it was only the two of them. Two against one was still two too many, I couldn't fight them. But it was probably my best shot. I focused first on tensing my muscles, trying hard to make sure I had control of my body. I had to move, I had to move fast, I said it like a mantra in my head. Keeping my eyes closed for a few more seconds.

Visualizing the inside of the boat was hard but I tried. It was a small motorized one by the feel and sound of things. Clay was on one side of me, near the engine, that was good. He was the biggest one and therefore the most dangerous for me. If he was steering the boat he'd be slower to react. Gavin, the oldest of Dave's sons was right next to me, I could actually feel the tips of his bare toes against my shoulder.

The diving knife I'd had strapped to my left bicep was gone, it had been a gift from Matt and I felt a pang of sadness at losing it. Anger that I was weaponless. I was angry enough to actually use a blade if I had one.

My head was near the side, my feet tucked sideways towards Clay. I slowly started shifting them, using the rolling of the boat on the waves to make it seem as natural as I could. The two were still talking though and I had the feeling they thought I was out cold and would be for some time still.

When I had them flat against the side of the boat opposite my head I tried to calm my rapid heartbeat and breathing again. I couldn't give myself away. And I needed to escape now, before they got me so far from the coast that I couldn't find my way back.

In my head I arranged the sequence of events, roll to my knees, launch myself over the edge and transform. Swim for my life. I could do this! I counted to three and then simply did it, not allowing myself to hesitate for a moment.

I was over the edge and into the water before I took a second breath. My change went through me so easily and quick, almost instantly transformed as I hit the water. I heard their shocked screams, had only a single moment to look out across the open sea and orientate myself.

There, Sharkfell island was right ahead of me. It would have to do.

Then I swam, faster than I ever had before.

*

Another cliffhanger! Sorry guys, these last chapters are filled with them. ^.^

Vote and comment please. Where do you guys think Dani should go? What's happening with Matt?

Much love,

Robin