Vol. 1: Chapter 1.2 - Connections

Hirata and I went towards the girls to start heading to the entrance ceremony.

"Ah, Ayanokouji-kun!"

Satou Maya noticed me approaching them and called me out.

"Hello there Karuizawa, Satou, Matsushita, Shinohara and Mori." I greeted them.

"You remembered all our names huh, Ayanokouji-kun. Were you intently listening to our introductions." Matsushita teased.

"Of course. Who wouldn't listen to the introductions of a cute girl." I teased back.

Her cheeks flushed for a bit, probably not expecting a counterattack.

"So what did you all think of those questions I asked earlier?" I asked them.

This would be a good time to test them.

After pondering for a bit Hirata answered.

"Hmm, I think it was weird how sensei didn't answer any of your questions."

I started walking out of the Classroom gesturing them to follow me.

"Yeah, she said that she wasn't allowed to answer the questions." Karuizawa responded.

"Do you think that the school is hiding something from us." Mori asked.

"I would think so. They purposely made the explanation vague and mentioned lot of strange things." Matsushita answered.

"I didn't think that you were that observant Matsushita-san." Karuizawa mentioned.

Realizing her mistake, Matsushita denied them.

"A-ahh, I mean I guess I'm a little smart." She tried to weasel her way out of this, unfortunately for her I wasn't going to let that happen.

"I'd advise you to drop the act and stop hiding your intelligence Matsushita."

Matsushita was one of the few people who picked up on sensei's hints, but I predict that she couldn't see the whole picture.

"You were after all suspicious of the S-system, right?" I added.

"Before you ask something like 'Why were you looking at me Ayanokouji-kun?' I was observing everyone's reaction to the system." I shut down any unnecessary questions.

Realizing that there was no way out of
this, Matsushita admitted it.

"F-fine, I was hiding my intelligence." She confirmed.

"But why?" Shinohara asked. There was no malicious intent in that line, only curiosity. I suspect the others share the same thought.

Speaking of others, Hirata hasn't spoken a lot since we left the classroom. He only observed our conversation with a smile on his face. I would've thought that he would go and start a conversation himself, but he let me do that. Maybe he was assesing my personality? Seems like Hirata is much smarter than he looks.

"You don't have to answer that Matsushita-San." Surprisingly, Karuizawa stopped her before she could answer.

"Why are you stopping her Karuizawa-san" Shinohara interrogated her.

"I mean, she doesn't have to if she doesn't want to. It's her own life and we don't have the right to pry into it."

Well I kind of wanted to know her motives in doing so, but I guess I'll just have to ask in private.

"While I am curious, you don't have to tell us." Hirata added.

Satou and the others seem to share the same thought. Are they just agreeing because Hirata and Karuizawa said so or do they genuinely think the same.