Chapter 6

Loki couldn't pull his gaze away from Morgan or from the arc reactor in her chest. At least not until he realized that it appeared that he was staring at her breasts and not the glowing piece of technology there. His first thought was Like father like daughter, but he knew that thought was less than kind. He realized almost immediately that the device was keeping her alive. So yes, it was like her father, but not in a way that he should tease for.

The team around him was arguing about what to do with him. It seemed that his idiot brother hadn't quite gotten the consent of the team for Loki to come here. Or more, they'd agreed to his being here, but hadn't worked out all the details. Loki had started droning them out when words like 'house arrest' kept coming up. They didn't trust him, which was to be expected. Even though they knew that he'd been mind-controlled. Thor had insisted that he'd told them. Loki didn't blame them for not trusting him. He remained quiet and observant as he took in their words.

At least he was observing the argument among the team until the little Starklet snuck over to him and practically appeared before him. She was a sneaky little creature to have nearly escaped his notice. She looked up at him and gave him a warm smile, one that nearly broke his formal facade. "Hello again," she greeted him brightly. She clearly remembered him and their conversation and last interaction.

Loki nodded, keeping his face court smooth, his emotions not written there. He wasn't sure exactly what he was feeling regardless. He was relieved that she was alive, but shocked to see her and more shocked to see the arc reactor in her chest. He needed to find out more. But he had to do it carefully. "Lady Stark," he greeted her politely, careful and wary, unsure how much had changed in two years.

Morgan beamed up at him. Gods, he was tall. Though they were much closer to the same age now, Loki and Morgan both recognized that. Loki aged slowly, looking like barely a day had passed in the two years while Morgan was definitely a young lady now. She had grown in the two years. "Morgan," she replied. She offered a hand to shake his, which Loki reciprocated automatically. Her hand was warm in his, which was to be expected when he was a Jotun. "It's good to meet you properly," she hadn't forgotten that he'd tried to keep her safe.

Loki tilted his head and shook her hand. "Loki," he replied, relaxing his formality a little when she seemed so insistent on it. "You probably knew that already." He added a bit lamely and could have kicked himself for his silver tongue failing.

"I did," she agreed easily. She finally dropped his hand with a hint of a blush. She'd been awed by his looks. That wasn't terribly surprising. "Thanks, for all your help that day. I know you tried," before Loki could respond to those words, she added: "While the team's all arguing, would you like me to show you to your room? They'll be at it for awhile and it's much quieter upstairs,"

Loki inclined his head politely. "I would appreciate that," he said.

She gave him another brilliant smile. "Great! Let's go," she said with a look in her eyes and in her grin that said she'd already adopted him as a friend and he better just accept it.

Loki knew that grin and resigned himself to his fate.

Stark was going to kill him.