Chapter 3

A light rain pattered against the leaves and branches. It didn't dampen the boys' spirits, though. Not in the slightest. They were finally going the right way.

The beams of their flashlights found landmark after landmark in the mist that they all agreed were the same they'd passed on their way in. Their elation had practically spurred all three of them into a jog, despite Dean urging them to be careful. The last thing they needed was someone rolling an ankle or something the next time a toe caught a root just right.

"It's sooo dark," Arlo mentioned, noting just how inky black the space outside of their lights' reach had grown.

"We've gotta be really close," Chris said.

Dean pulled out his phone. "Yeah," he agreed, face illuminated momentarily by the screen. "It's been about thirty minutes, too."

"Hey," Arlo said, stopping suddenly. "Let me see the keys." He could barely make out the confused look Dean gave him as he dug the keys to their rental out of his pocket.

"What do you need them fo-"

'Honk-honk!' The sound was faint, but they'd definitely heard it.

Chris turned, blinking into the dark. "Do it again," he urged, since this time he knew to look for the flash of head or tail lights.

Arlo pressed the 'lock' button on the key fob again.

"Over there!" Dean pointed, as they all moved their flashlights to concentrate on the orange flash. Something in the distance between the trees was reflecting their light, the metallic surface shining like a beacon of pure hope. "Oh, thank you, Jesus!" Dean said as Chris and Arlo both broke into laughter over just how relieved they were.

It wasn't until they'd gotten much closer to the car though, that they all realized something was very, very wrong. Once they were within twenty feet or so, they stalled to a stunned halt as realization set in.

What they thought had been the car, wasn't their rental at all... Arlo felt his stomach twist, and he almost doubled over. What their flashlights were pointed at was nylon... a tent. And there was another near it.

"What the fuck..." Chris whispered, the cone of light from his flashlight telegraphing every tremble of his hand.

"But... we heard it," Arlo muttered in disbelief. "We saw the headlights flash."

"Gimme those keys," Dean said, snatching them from Arlo's hand before mashing the lock button.

Silence.

No flash... No honk... Nothing but a deafening silence.

Dean tried again, and twice more after that, as the other two huddled close. Chris could feel his arm pressing against Arlo's. "What are we supposed to do now?"

"I guess we see if anyone's home," Dean grumbled. "We need to get out of this damned rain."

Reluctantly, they continued on, and now that they were even closer, they could see the distinct orange glow of a small campfire on the other side of the tents. It would have been easy for anyone to explain away what they'd seen as just them catching glimpses of the flames in the otherwise pitch black of the forest. Only, they hadn't. They weren't stupid. They could tell the difference between blinking car lights and a campfire...right?

This had to be the girls' camp. There were two folding chairs, two tents, and two stools held up a board, which looked to be set up as a temporary tabletop or counter. It all actually could've looked very cozy and inviting, except for the fact that absolutely none of it should be here, and the girls were nowhere to be seen.