028. BLOOD OF THE COVENANT.

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHTblood of the covenant

blood of the covenant

⋆*✧・゚:⋆*・゚:*✧・゚:*✧・゚:

"I STILL HAVE TIME to stop Dad before Kennedy makes his final turn," Diego said, peering at the Dealey Plaza through the window. Nadine, after finishing her reunion with Vanya—her real reunion, because Vanya was back, she remembered her, she remembered everything—had joined him and Allison at the window, hand intertwined tightly with Molly's. It was strange to be looking down upon a place that would soon become immortalized in history, especially after the surrealism of surviving an event that could have ended the world. Unfortunately, she didn't have the time to mull.

Allison attempted to take her brother's arm. "No, no, where are you going?"

Diego halted for a moment. "Look, I saw the explosion. I saw the tapes, Allison. The explosion causes doomsday. You're safe now. He doesn't have to die."

"Diego, wait—" Nadine started, but Diego was already moving. With nearly inhuman speed (he might actually be able to beat her in a race), he burst into the stairwell. Thuds echoed up to her, the sounds of his boots leaping down two stairs at a time.

Molly shifted slightly in place. "What's the harm?" she asked quietly. "He's right. The apocalypse is over. Does he... does the assassination have to happen?"

Of course, she'd be wondering that. She'd only recently learned that JFK was fated to be killed today. If that could be avoided, why shouldn't it?

Unfortunately, Nadine had dabbled enough in time travel to know that nothing was without its price. "It does. The timeline—our timeline—depends on this happening. If the president doesn't die today, then history itself gets rewritten. Things that are meant to be will never come to pass, and other things that never should have happened will."

"The butterfly effect." Allison nodded. "Have you ever heard of it, Molly? The theory that every action—no matter how minor—causes a chain reaction?"

"Y-yeah," Molly responded.

"And this wouldn't be a minor action," Nadine said. "This would tangle the timeline completely. There's a possibility that I wouldn't be born. And then the Commission—" just the word on her tongue made her bones grind, "—would be all up in our business again, and nothing good happens with them. I promise you that."

Molly chewed on her lip. It was evidently difficult for her to wrap her head around. Nadine had been like that, two years ago, when she'd first learned about the complexities of time travel.

"Why aren't you going after him, then?" Molly asked.

"We'll never catch up," Allison responded. "And he wouldn't stop, even if we did. All we can do now is hope that the universe ensures everything is in order."