011. WORD OF MOUTH.

CHAPTER ELEVENword of mouth

CHAPTER ELEVEN
word of mouth

⋆*✧・゚:⋆*・゚:*✧・゚:*✧・゚:

SHE HAD TO TELL Molly. There was no other choice. The world was ending, and now, apparently, a trio of Commission goons was after Nadine's blood. If Nadine said nothing, she'd be caught up in either Armageddon or the barrel of a gun, and she'd be gone. She'd breathe her last breath, her heart would beat for the final time, and she'd become nothing more than an empty shell. A clump of ash.

And Nadine would know she failed.

No, it was better to tell Molly everything. Everything, like the fact that she was from the future and had superhuman abilities and fought with a team of similarly extraordinary people. She'd have to spill it all out, and hope she didn't run like everyone else did. Colette. Manon. Mirabelle. Camille. Even Louise. All of them people Nadine thought she loved, people Nadine thought loved her, and all of them had taken off when Nadine revealed who she was. She'd never... she'd never had anyone who loved her as a whole—her powers, her trauma, her barely kindled rage. The past two years may have taught her to open her heart a little wider, but there was still a tightly packed wall around it. Because she knew what people were like. She knew she wasn't good enough when she was complete.

And Molly... Molly only knew her as a fraction. Due to her strange circumstances, Nadine had become someone else for Molly, someone slightly to the left of the real Nadine. She'd kept so many secrets, shoved them all into a bottle and covered them with a cork, and the sheer effort of holding them there made her a frame of a person. Almost Nadine Vidal, but not quite there.

Now here was her chance to become the real Nadine. The Nadine who was messy and brutal and difficult and wild. The Nadine who wasn't a hero, but would do anything to protect Molly.

The Swedes would track Nadine here. Nadine knew enough about the Commission to know they were scarily good at that. But if she convinced Molly to leave with her, to go to a safer place... maybe the odds would tip more in their favour.

But Molly would only come with her if she knew the truth.

Tonight, Nadine would do it. She would pry open the stopper and let all of those fragments of herself fill in the holes they'd left behind. She'd bare her heart to Molly, true as can be, and pray that Molly, too, didn't turn away. Pray that the truth was too much weight for her to carry.

Nadine came to this laborious conclusion in the few minutes it took Five to vacate his stool and join Vanya at the rotary phone. She was so caught up in her own thoughts that they blared louder than their conversation, which was how she ended up missing their argument. It was only when Five returned and ordered her (condescending little shit) to come with them that she stood up. And it was only when she made it outside (reluctantly leaving her waffles behind) that she noticed the angry tears burning in Vanya's eyes.