000. A VERY SPECIAL GIRL.

PROLOGUEa very special girl

PROLOGUE
a very special girl

⋆*✧・゚:⋆*・゚:*✧・゚:*✧・゚:

SMOKE CURLED FROM a cigarette pressed between lips of cherry-red, and a head of white curls settled underneath a midnight-black hat. As a perfectly manicured hand grasped onto the gun in her coat pocket, she made her way to the house, her body thrumming with adrenaline. Ever since the anomalies had first lit up the Infinite Switchboard, she'd been curious, questioning what they each had in common. Quick research had proven two things—one, all of the anomalies were born to mothers who had not been pregnant the minute before giving birth, and two, they all possessed extraordinary powers. Powers that she was very interested in getting her hands on.

Since that discovery, she'd made it her mission to seek these anomalies out. It was harder than she'd thought it would be, though, and at the moment, she'd only successfully acquired one. But while that girl had been a cinch to pick up—her agent was efficient, even at his age, and best of all, he didn't ask too many questions—she knew the second time around would be trickier. It wasn't like she could forge another assassination order. One may have gone under the radar of the employees at the Commission, but a second—especially since it was another pair of people who were mostly innocent—was going to raise some eyebrows, even with the fake seal she'd secured. So, instead of playing the same hand a second time, she decided she needed a new strategy. Which was why she was on this mission today: to take her first look at the target, and discern the method she'd use to procure her in the future.

The other one, with her eyes of steel, had been left behind. She was a fascinating creature, that girl, and had begun her training mere weeks after arriving at the Temps Commission. She'd shown a particular aptitude even back then, and now, three years later, she was proving to be extraordinarily gifted. Hopefully, her new sister would, as well.

(And hopefully, she'd be an anomaly that could be distinguished—it had been three years, and what about the other girl that had made the Infinite Switchboard go haywire had still not been discerned.)

The corners of her perfect lips turned up as she approached the front door. This was the right house. She'd checked the file three times before she'd taken up the briefcase and made her way to 1996. At this point, the address was practically engraved into her mind.

She raised one fist to knock, letting the other tighten around the handle of her gun. Then she waited, her heart pulsing with anticipation. She tapped her foot impatiently.

Fortunately, it only took twenty-two seconds (she counted) before the doorknob began to turn. Two seconds after that, and the door was swinging open. Quickly, she let go of the gun, bringing both of her hands in front of her. Because there, standing in the doorway, was exactly who she was looking for.