Klaus met me at the staircase, staying at the top but looking over his shoulder. "I decided not to go. I wanted to be here when you got home," he said before looking back at me. "It's Hope's birthday. I should be with her."

"What are you looking for?" I asked, heading up the stairs to him.

He was looking away even as he said, "Nothing." Then his shoulders sagged. In relief? And slowly he met me halfway on the staircase, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Hi," I breathed out slowly, pressing my body firmly against his. "You're up to something,"

"Aren't I always?" He smirked playfully, lower his head to press his forehead to mine.

"Yes," I grumbled, slipping my hands up and around his neck. "So what is it?"

"Nothing," he answered, brushing his lips against mine. I was going to question him further, suspicious of the fact he didn't just tell me. And I'm going to assume by Freya's stunned expression that she knew what it was and was in on it. Or at least in on hiding it from me. But I didn't have a chance to speak as he kissed me passionately, deeply too.

I returned the kiss a little uneasily, taken aback. This was a hell of a greeting. His tongue was in my mouth in seconds and his hands were firmly sliding up from my hips to my breasts to grope them both. "Klaus," I hissed, starting to pull away. Then a hand went to the small of my back, pushing me back into him.

"Hope's asleep," he murmured against my mouth, rubbing his nose against mine. Oh, he was definitely working an angle. And I was ready to melt. I didn't care what stupid thing he was up to. I'd figure it out later.

"I'm leaving!" Freya shouted up. I laughed, turning to see her rolling up her yoga mat. "I'll be back at 4 for the birthday shenanigans."

"Let's hurry before Hope wakes," Klaus said and I nodded, leaning in for a kiss. Our lips met in a frenzy and my boyfriend decided to lift me up, arms under my thighs as my legs wrapped around his waist.

***

Friday, August 31st
4:28 PM

"Okay, go ahead," I cooed at Hope. I stood a few feet in front of her with my phone camera recording. Klaus right next to the high chair, just having put the cake in front of our one year old.

Hope scrunched her eyebrows together, hesitantly tapping the top of the cake. I grinned, holding back a laugh. Her eyes widened and she hit the soft fondue top again, successfully breaking it. Klaus laughed as her mouth fell ajar. "Oh, no," I mumbled. "She's gonna cry."

Her lip was wobbling and her eyes were glossing over. Klaus stepped into my frame, picking up a piece of the small daisy covered cake and putting to the upset child's mouth. Hope chewed slowly before smiling. Klaus then dug his his hand into the top of the cake, showing her and squeezing it as it fell apart in and out of his palm.

She giggled, immediately copying her father and grabbing handfuls and then dropping it. "Yes, that's it, baby," Freya cheered from beside me.

Hope continued, each time giggling louder than before. And it was adorable until she got herself in a crazy fit of laughter and threw cake at Klaus. My boyfriend looked at me appalled. Dramatically offended and I could see in his eyes he blamed me for ruining his shirt. "That wasn't nice," Freya said, trying to hide her amusement as she approached the decorated high chair to get the cackling baby out.

Only Hope threw her next crumbled up cake at her. I gasped, putting one hand over my mouth whilst still recording. This was amazing. I couldn't wait to show Hayley tonight. Klaus and I agreed cake after bedtime was a bad idea for Hope who already took forever getting back to sleep the nights after visiting the bayou.