Time Is On My Side

Start from the beginning

We arrived at Coroner's Lab, where we pose as FBI agents, asking the doctor about the victim. "Yeah, the rest of the body was intact. The liver was the only organ missing." The coroner said.

"Now, where the liver was ripped out, did you happen to notice any...ah...teeth marks?" Dean asked and the coroner gave us an 'are you insane' look. "Can I see your badges?" He asked us. "Of course, sure." Sam said and we flash our fake badges.

"Fine. So you're cops and morons." The coroner said, turning away to walk over to the compartment. "Excuse me? No, no. We're very smart." Dean said and the coroner wheeled out a corpse.

"The liver was not ripped out. It was removed. Surgically. By someone who knew their way around a scalpel. Didn't you read my report?" The coroner said, removing part of the sheet over the body, for us to see the surgical cut on the top of the stomach.

"Of course we did. Oh, it was riveting. It was a real page-turner, just delightful." Dean said. "You done?" The coroner asked, unimpressed. "I think so." Dean replied. "Please go away." The coroner said. "Okay." Dean said, simply. "Sure." Sam said and we walk doors with the coroner sighing exasperated behind us.

As we exit the coroner and walk down the hall, I look over at Sam, seeing he was smiling. "What?" I asked. "Nothing. So, that kind of punches a hole in our zombie theory, huh, that scalpel thing?" He asked.

"Yeah, zombie with skills, 'Dr. Quinn, medicine zombie'." Dean said. "Maybe we're on the wrong track, guys, looking for hacked-up corpses." Sam suggested. "What should we be looking for?" I asked. "Survivors. This isn't zombie lunch. This is organ theft." Sam replied.

Later, we stood in a patient's room asking him about the 81-zombie-organ-theft that he encountered. "I told the cops all of this yesterday. I don't want to talk about it anymore." The guy said, annoyed.

"It's just a couple of questions, sir." Sam said. "Hey, man. I just got my kidney stolen. I'm tired." The guy said. "We'll be out of here quick. Don't you want to get the guy?" Dean asked.

"Will it get me back my kidney?" He replied, with an attitude. "So what's the last thing you remember?" I asked him. The guy sigh shaking his head as he stares off into nothing.

"Feeding my meter. I got jumped from behind...and then I wake up strapped to a table. And then the worst pain you could possibly imagine, only worse. And then I black out again. Thank God. And then I wake up screaming in some no-tell motel in a bathtub full of ice." He explained.

"Do you remember anything about the surgery... you know, what the guy looked like, any details about the room?" Dean asked him. "Let me think about that." The guy said, looking away again as he tries to think.

"Yeah... one thing is coming back to me." He said and we look at him intrigued. "You know what I remember? Getting my kidney cut out of my body!" He exclaimed. Sam sigh and turn to Dean and I, disappointed.

Back at the motel, the boys and I were sitting at the table. Sam was using his laptop, I was skimming through a book, and Dean was happily eating a burger. "So, I got a theory." Sam said. "Yeah?" Dean asked. "Yeah, I talked to Mr. Giggle's doctor. Turns out his incisions were sewn up with silk." Sam replied.

"That's weird." I said. "Yeah, nowadays it is." Sam said and turns his laptop around for Dean and I to see what he was looking at. "But silk used to be the suture of choice back in the early 19th century. It was really problematic. Patients would get massive infections. The death rate was insane." He explained.

"Good times." Dean said, sarcastically. "Right, so doctors, they had to do whatever they could to keep infections from spreading. One way was maggots." Sam said.