Chapter Five : An Old Friend

When she threw out her hand, the world around me went black, and my body slammed to the floor of Sam's tiny grey house. The familiar smell and the voices of Paul, Jared, and Sam when they saw me told me it was Sam's. My eyes were closed, and my head ached from whatever had just happened.

I groaned, opened my eyes, and shifted my weight off of my back.

"Bro." Quill walked into the room just as I stood up, and everyone in the room was stunned.

"What the hell was that, man?" Sam jumped up from the couch, his dark eyes fixed on me like I was a science experiment.

"I'm not sure. I was arguing with Halston one minute, and now I'm here." Nausea hit so suddenly, if Jared hadn't been holding a stainless steel bowl, I would have thrown up all over Sam's rug.

"Fuck." I groaned again, lowering myself back to the floor to keep from falling.

"It looks like you teleported," Leah said as she entered through the front door. Her gaze lingered on me for a split second too long before she sat in the old turquoise rocking chair.

"We need more answers," Sam said, getting right down to business.

"Perhaps I was teleported. I accused her of bringing that cold blood with her to Forks. She got upset, then I landed here." I paused for a moment to reflect.

"I've already told you about her premonition, but she can also hear other people's thoughts and share her own." I offered the information, knowing that my pack would be aware of it if we shifted together in the future. It was difficult to keep things from someone who shared a mental pathway with you, so I kept very little from them. I knew it was to protect the pack and move as a unit, but damn it was frustrating at times.

"And she can teleport." Leah shrugged when I looked over at her. "I mean, if she can send you spiraling for miles, I'm certain she's able to teleport larger distances by herself."

She had a valid point. With Halston, there was a lot to unpack. It wasn't just the emotional component or the fact that she was my mate. Her being a vampire complicated matters even more.

I looked at Sam for a moment before standing up from the ground. He had imprinted on Emily when he first shifted. While Emily grew older, Sam made the difficult decision to remain connected to his wolf. Sam remained by her side to this day, but Emily's mind was slowly fading. She was diagnosed with early-onset dementia last year, but we had noticed small changes in her for a long time before that. Sam acts as if everything is fine, he is dying on the inside. A small part of me wanted to ask him if he ever regretted his decision if it was worth it to watch the woman he had imprinted on die.

You couldn't watch her die. The thought struck me, and it was right. To watch Halston die would be the most painful thing in the world. When I learned that she had died in a car accident, I wanted to drive into a river myself. At that point in our lives, Halston and I rarely communicated, but the thought of living without her was too much to bear even then.

Another part of this whole experience that drove me up the wall was that Halston and I were together for nearly two years after my shifter gene was activated. So why didn't I imprint on her while she was human? Everyone else imprinted the moment they laid eyes on their person, but not me. It was the moment I saw her immortal that it shifted into place.

The question was something I wanted to bring up with Sam, but I knew he didn't know any more than I did about this. "I've got to get back to her." I decided, but Jared and Paul blocked my exit.

I gave them a deadly smile, cocking my head to the side. "Come on, guys. Move."

Jared placed a hand on my shoulder. "You need to rest. Give her some space and revisit the situation tomorrow."