Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

“Zayn, it’s not like that!” Harry started, getting to his feet.

“I just want to trust you Harry, how can I trust you when you can’t even promise me that you’ll keep my secret?” Zayn asked, starting to feel annoyed. He had forgotten all about this part of his and Harry’s relationship. Harry was his teacher, and as his teacher, he had a right to step in when a student was alright with what was going on around them, but Zayn couldn’t have that. That couldn’t happen, what if Alex kept to his threat about Zayn’s sisters? Zayn couldn’t have anything happen to his sisters, anything. Waliyha was too damaged and vulnerable right now, and Safaa was too precious. No, nothing would happen, Zayn wouldn’t allow it in a million years.

“I know that this is complicated, but you have to realise that whether I am your teacher or not, I’m always going to want the best for you.” Harry tried to explain. Zayn could see the honesty in Harry’s eyes, and he knew that Harry was being truthful, but it was hard to figure out if he was worth trusting about what Zayn had told him.

“Zayn, I really like you…you know that, right?” Harry asked, walking over to Zayn and taking his hands into his. Zayn felt Harry’s warm hands as Harry looked at him deeply.

“I know, it’s just,” Zayn started again, but Harry cut him off.

“I really like you, I’ll never do something that you don’t want me to do. Even if I want to help you, and I do, I really want all of this to go away, and for you to just be with me and be happy, but if you want me to stay quiet…” Harry started to explain, before he sighed.

“Please, Harry, please stay quiet about this. I’ve got this, I can deal with this, I know how to handle this, just please, don’t get involved!” Zayn pleaded with him, subconsciously squeezing the older boys’ hands. Harry looked at him for a long moment, a deep look exchanging between the two boys. Harry looked down at his shoes.

“I just want to protect you…” Harry whispered, his husky voice breaking Zayn’s heart. He was so caring, but too many people were already dragged into this situation, even his sisters, and now he wasn’t going to bring Harry into it. He wanted Harry to be his rock, the one on the outside that would just be there when he needed him.

“You are protecting me…by doing this.” Zayn told him, pulling Harry’s body towards him gently. Harry gave another sigh as he looked at him.

“Fine. I won’t do anything, but this is killing me. I just want you to be okay, babe.” Harry whispered, as the two boys put their foreheads onto each other’s.

“I will be okay, just trust me, baby.” Zayn whispered, before placing a short kiss on Harry’s lips. Harry nodded, looking at Zayn with sad eyes. The two boys stood next to each other, holding each other closely for a while, before Harry gave another sigh and broke off.

“I better give you a lift home.”

“Zayn! Zayn!” Waliyha’s voice was blood curling as it pulled Zayn from his sleep.

When Zayn arrived back at his home that night, with some of Harry’s teabags, his Mother had given him a cheeky smile.

“You took your time, Zaynie,” She announced as Zayn sat down on the sofa, his two younger sisters sat on the floor beside his feet. Zayn had shuddered when he had heard his name leave his Mother’s mouth. Ever since Alex had used it, it made him want to curl up and die everytime he had heard it.

“…Did you go off and meet someone? A girl?” His Mother had asked, and he immediately blushed, pulling out his mobile phone to text Liam. It felt like he hadn’t talked to him properly in ages.

“I guess, I don’t know…” Zayn had answered, with a smirk and a shrug. The ‘girl’ part of his Mother’s sentence got him down a bit though. He knew that his parents would never accept him as he was. Safaa then suddenly looked up at him with a cheeky smile, even though Waliyha had been staring emotionless at the TV.

“Stop looking at me, dork.” Zayn had teased his younger sister, before pushing her tiny body away with his foot. She laughed because he had tickled her. They had all spent the rest of the evening all chilling out together and watching the TV, before Zayn had had to settle his Mother into bed, and then his sisters when it had gotten later.

That’s where he was now. His Mum was fast asleep in her room, but Zayn was on the bedroom floor of his sister’s room. They were both in their bunks, Safaa sleeping away soundly, while he was tucked up in his double duvet. Well, he had been until he was wrenched from his sleep from Waliyha’s sleep terrors. He quickly lunged up, grabbing a stray teddy bear from a shelf, his chocolate brown eyes darting across all the spaces in his sister’s room. When he realised that the room was empty and dark, he calmed down. He thought it was Alex. He thought Alex had tracked them down, but it wasn’t him, thank goodness, and they were safe. Zayn then realised that his younger sister was still thrashing around on the top bunk, yelling out his name.

“Waliyha! Waliyha, wake up!” He called urgently, pulling himself up the ladder on the bunk bed and grabbing hold of her body as if she were a baby. He shushed her and held her as he watched as her body stopped hitting out frantically. Her eyes had been clamped shut, but she suddenly reached out for his arm, thankfully his good arm, before opening her eyes and gasping for air.

“Shush, hey, calm down…” Zayn soothed her, as she latched onto him, holding onto him for dear life as she cried.

“He hit you, I don’t want, I,” She tried to talk, but her cries were interfering with her sentences.

“Shush, Zayn’s here, it’s okay babe, I’m here.” Zayn told her gently, even though he felt like crying too. His fears were true. His younger sister saw their own father throw Zayn across that coffee table, and now she was here, having nightmares about it. This was all his fault; he was such a bad brother to them. He pulled her into his arms, sniffing himself, before climbing down from the small steps of the bunk bed’s ladder and onto the floor. His sister clung to him, her forehead wet with sweat, cheeks stained with tears. He hated seeing her like this, and never wanted to see her like this again, or for her to feel like this again, but something inside of Zayn was telling him that this was not the end.

He laid himself and his crying sister onto the floor and inside of the duvet, holding her protectively.

“It keeps playing in my head, Zayn, make it stop, Zayn, make it stop…” Waliyha cried, soaking Harry’s navy blue T-shirt in tears. Zayn held onto her tightly, like he was clinging onto her for dear life. He burst into tears himself at her words, kissing her forehead and holding onto her with all the strength inside of him.

“Please God make it stop…” He quietly cried, as the two siblings cried themselves to sleep, holding each other as if they were the last things that they had.