"Well, color is starting to return to her face, and it might not seem like it, but she has gained a little bit of weight. So she is on the road to recovery." Says the doctor as he packs up his stethoscope.

"All right, do you have any suggestions about how to help her recover? What vegetables, grains, or meats should we prepare for her? Do we need to give her more supplements?" Benjamin asks.

"As long as you provide her with healthy meals and she takes her supplements every day, she will be better in no time." The doctor assures him.

A relieved smile breaks across his face. "Thank you, Doctor." He bows his head to him and turns to me, "Miss., what would you like to have for dinner today?"

"Um, anything is fine," I respond in a small voice.

"Alright. I'll tell the kitchen staff to prepare you a special dessert today. As an encouragement to continue on your journey to good health." He flashes a warm smile.

The melodic song of a small bird on the windowsill brought me out of my memories. Can I just leave and forget about the kindness these people have shown me? My fingers played with the silver butter knife that rested on the table. And it's not like I have anyone waiting for me back in Adelysia's. Before I could convince myself to stay, another thought came to the forefront. But what do I know about taking care of an estate? Of a dukedom? Plus, I'm illiterate. I would be of no use to these people. My eyes wandered to the window. By the time the moon took its place in the night sky. I had made a decision.

My fingers played with my skirt as I stood by the dining room doors in the morning. "You can do this." Taking a deep breath, I pushed the large oak doors open.

Anxious grey eyes settled on my face as I walked to my side of the table. "Good morning," Greeted the duke as he stood from his chair.

"Good morning," I replied, sitting down on my mismatched chair.

He mirrored my actions. "I would like to apologize. I didn't mean to offend you last time we spoke." The weight of his stare was unnerving. 

"I accept your offer." I blurted out before I changed my mind.

⚜⚜⚜

"You did what?" exclaimed Benjamin. "You proposed to her? Iskander, b―but why?"

"I need someone to take care of my assets. To take care of you if something were to happen to me. I don't have an heir, and I can't adopt her, so the best option is to marry her." I reasoned.

"And she said yes?" Benjamin asked, full of disbelief.

I nodded.

His legs grew unsteady, and he sank into the couch. "Iskander, this is a bad idea. The girl has no knowledge of how to take care of an estate. I don't think they even gave her a proper education, to be honest."

"That's why I made arrangements to hire a teacher for her. She would receive a noble's education, and I would like you to guide her in how to run an estate."

Benjamin hid his face behind his hands. "What if the young lady turns out to be a bad person?"

"I'm not doing this without taking some precautions. I will add some clauses to my will that protect you and the household from harm." Sitting next to him I placed my hand on his shoulder. "It'll be fine, I promise."

The tick-tock of the wall clock grew exceptionally loud in the silent office. With each tick, my once solid resolve was being chipped away little by little.

I almost gave in until benjamin bowed his head in resignation and asked, "When is this wedding going to happen?". 

"In the evening."