Mr. Naeem, I hoped would soon have a legitimate job. If he accepted the offer. 

"Will you tell Madiha?" my cousin asked.

"No. I don't want it to seem like I was taking pity on her family. So, could you keep your association with us under wraps as well."

Secretly, I was afraid that her uncle would refuse to be associated with anyone from Surgilab. Yet, I figured if Ahmed uncle's brother wasn't so cash strapped, he'd be willing to look past my family's background. 

That wasn't a bad plan. It would have certainly succeeded - if it hadn't been for the man I loathed. 

*******

As COVID-19 forces conferences online, scientists discover upsides of virtual format- Scienceinsider

As the novel coronavirus outbreak shutters businesses and disrupts everyday life for billions around the globe, massive annual conferences and small society meetings alike have moved online. The new format poses numerous technical and organizational challenges, but it also offers opportunities—for reaching wider audiences, reducing the carbon footprint of meeting travel, and improving diversity and equity. For some meetings, the shift may be permanent.

The scientific community is "making lemonade out of lemons," Prosser says. "It's taking [a situation] that's really quite horrible and providing people a way to connect in spite of it all."

I whistled a tune under my N95 while Salman scrolled through an article at a work station next to me at the COVID field hospital. 

"I think I will actually attend the peds cardiology conference this year..." he laughed. "From my bed, in my pajamas, sipping on a hot cup of cappuccino."

Sounded like heaven to me, but I couldn't help saying, "I'd love to see Noor react to your lazy butt in bed all day."

The agonizing dip in his voice was instant, "She won't know. I am staying in a hotel these days."

I swung my head to face him, "What? Why?"

"That's a stupid question considering you were the one who took care of her when I nearly killed her from Flu," he replied without looking at me.         

Seriously? I wanted to say, but didn't. He was right, I was there when he blamed himself for exposing Noor to Flu which resulted in her getting admitted to the ICU and needing to deliver Ayah prematurely. He was wrong in blaming himself back then, and by most scientific standards he was wrong in staying away from his family now. Yet, he wasn't alone in feeling the need to hole up in some place, fearful of passing the deadly virus to the vulnerable in your family. 

It was a feeling many of us were very familiar with. It was the one time in my life I was actually relived that I lived alone. And that threw me off, because I brushed Salman off as just another worried healthcare worker. Not realizing what was really going on behind the N95 mask that hid his emotions so well. 

Instead, I tried to make lemonade out of lemons. 

"Well, when you are not listening to lectures on peds cardiology you are welcome to watch a movie with us."

"Movie?" he frowned. "All the cinemas are closed."

"Yeah I know. Madi and I order out food and watch movies together online sometimes. I put on Netflix and share my screen with her."

The N95 may have hid his emotions, but it did nothing to hide his smirking eyes. "So, like an online date?"

Date? I had never thought of that. It was just a way for us to unwind since we barely got to see each other in-person. Besides, after that irritating Faraz getting in my face it was heartwarming to realize, again and again, that Madi still chose me.