I'll always he here...(4)

7:34
Home

~Y/n POV~

Working at the nine nine has been a dream come true. Originally, I felt apprehensive about joining after Captain Holt briefed me on what had transpired before I joined, over the phone. Regardless, my fears never came to be a reality as everyone had been incredibly welcoming.

My shift starts at 9:00 and myself and Rosa has been chasing this cool- I mean... very dangerous and very severe serial killer. The issue is, this killer had perfected the art of flawlessly removing their victim's face, using said skin as a mask, and then abandoning the last complexion they used with the next victim as they take that victim's skin.

This means that we can't identify our perp as every facial recognition we manage to carry out only identifies the killer as their victim. Their last victim, was a young schoolboy, Brandon Huntsman, age 16.

Unfortunately for us, our perp has also not been relatively consistent with their victims, there has been a total of 8 including Brandon, that we know of. There was Louise Sheffield a stay-at-home mother, blond and caucasian. Then Danny Garvel, an elderly Brazilian man who had committed several felonies in his youth. Hannah Edwards, a 21-year-old female, caucasian from Britain who came to Brooklyn for college. Xavier Daniels, a 42-year-old African American businessman who had a company conference here in Brooklyn. Bella Romano, a 14-year-old Italian girl who was visiting on a school trip. Carys Cooper, a 31-year-old woman with a family of seven visiting for her summer holidays. Ffion Green, a woman who married a well-known rich businessman, who she then killed for his money, she was released at the age of 82 and was slaughtered by our perp two weeks after release.

The perp's attention to detail in his attacks left is their potential killing locations unpredictable, their next victims uncertain, and their motive and murder weapon unsolved. It's simultaneously the best and most awful case ever!

Captain Holt seems doubtful that me and Rosa will be able to deliver anything, and the higher-ups are breathing down our necks. This case is so tough that not even Major Crimes wants to step in.

However, a solve like this could kick start my career and help both myself and Rosa greatly! And of course, it means that we put away a very dangerous serial killer. In summary, this case will either make or break my career...

———————————————————————
8:56
The 99th Precinct

As I entered the Precinct, Rosa and I locked eyes. The stakes are extremely high. Although her face remained distant and rough, her eyes illustrated it all. Her previously vibrant brown eyes was now filled with hopelessness, dread and hesitation. Feelings a kick-ass woman such as Rosa Diaz would never experience.

My sight tore away from the miserable Diaz who was mentally imagining destroying the whole Precinct and made my way to my desk, plopping my things down.

"Hey" a cautious voice spoke up, its familiar tone and lovable friendliness distracting my mind from the reality just for a millisecond. I turn to be faced with an all too familiar childish grin and deep chocolate eyes. Jake.

"Hello, Jake" I smile colourfully at him, just his presence alone sufficient to help me neglect my troubles and worries. "Whatcha up to?" I turned back to my desk, taking out and setting my papers and notes.

"Oh, nothing much... just talking to this really awesome girl who I'm totally not jealous of for getting a really awesome case" I rolled my eyes at how apparent the man is behaving. I whirl my head to the side, only to smirk at the sight of his even wider childish grin that plastered his cute face.

"Well, make sure to introduce me to this really awesome girl that you're talking about, I'm sure she's really nice" I smirk harder at the man, who chuckled at my comment.

"Oh she's the nicest, and guess what?" I shrugged my shoulders, the grin evidently on my face never leaving. He leaned in, his hot breath fanned my cheek as he drew nearer to my ear. Then he muttered, "she's super hot"

My cheeks glow red at this, taken back by his forward behaviour. In a desperate attempt to hide my flustered state I quickly called out: "Huh? What was that Rosa? Something about the case?? Oh coming...girlfriend..." I awkwardly shuffled away from the cackling Jake.

"I didn't say anything" Rosa stated calmly but confused.

"I know, but we aren't going to get crap done if Jake keeps talking to me" I roll my eyes, using all my might to hold back a smile that begged to break.

Rosa agreed. And that's what we did. We worked the case. And we worked the case. And we... worked the case. And we worked... the case. And we.. worked... and...worked. 10 hours went by, and nothing came up. Nothing. I resorted to banging my head on the table in pure agony and frustration, exhaustion and anger now controlling my mind.

After a moment and bashing my head against the cold metal desk, and hand slipped its way in between my head and the desk, preventing me from whacking my head any longer. The soft hand caught my head and slowly began to smooth over the pain that arrived there. "Please don't do that" I tiredly smiled, the voice familiar as always. I glance up, spotting a tired Jake by my side. I tiredly smiled up at him, silently thanking him for caring. He took a seat where Rosa once sat, in my frustration, I failed to notice that she left.

Jake yanked out a bottle/can on f/dr from his pocket. My eyes widened with joy. Quickly I pulled Jake into a grateful hug. I whispered a quiet 'thank you' in his ear, as he whispered back a quiet 'no worries'.

I pull back, and without hesitation began to slurp down my drink. My throat became itchy and dry over the last few hours. My determination along with my stubbornness didn't let me grab a drink. This case was destroying me!

"So, got anything?" Jake asked carefully, not to trigger or anger my disoriented mind.

Tired and frustrated groan escaped from my lips, "No! Nothing! It's almost as if this perp doesn't exist like it's a ghost or an invisible man committing the crimes..." I sighed, defeated. "Maybe I should accept defeat, and abide by the reality that my career is over, even though it just began...

"What? Are you insane? You can't give up, Y/n. You're a great detective and something will come up, and as soon as it does, you'll notice it right away." Jake placed his hand on my shoulder, soothing me. With tears in my eyes, I looked up at him through my lashes.

"Right" I lightly scoffed at his comment, refusing to believe that I'll actually solve this case.

"How about this... you come home with me, my house is only two blocks away, then you can come in early in the morning to work on the case again," Jake suggested, his face remaining serious. He wasn't asking. I nod my head in agreement.

"I don't want to hear it! You need to get some rest, Y/n. I don't like seeing you like this, it hurts, and- wait did you nod?" I giggled at his confusion, somehow he always knew how to cheer you up, whether it was intentional or not.

"Yes, I agreed with you, idiot. Thank you for being here for me, and for caring. It means a lot" I smiled at Jake, his eyes pooled with happiness and pride.

"I'll always be here for you..." Suddenly we heard a squeak, we looked to our right, to see a joy-riddled Charles Boyle. His smile stretched from ear to ear.

_______________________________

A/n: I am extremely tired rn, so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes, I apologise, thank you for reading <3